or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Curing meats and "sell by" dates.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Curing meats and "sell by" dates. - Page 2

post #21 of 25

I`m with Al.....All of the beef that I buy is on a reduced sell by date you can save a bunch !!! Walmart marks theirs down around 5am on Thursdays around here...

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipelineGypsy View Post
 

Regarding the "common sense" replies Common sense did tell me that it would be safe, I was just wanting the opinions of some seasoned curers. 

 

I’ll explain why I believe in using common sense. Sixty years ago when I started smoking foods and forty years ago when I started curing foods, there was no such thing as use or sell by dates. You used common sense when purchasing any product. Guess the idea of using common sense carried over from the past. Perhaps after another forty years of curing, you may consider me being seasoned, until then I’ll just stay sauced. LOL

 

Good luck on your project and hoping it turns out well for you.

 

T

post #23 of 25
After a looooong and full life, one thing I've noticed is the the problem with common sense is it isn't too common any more.
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TardisSmoker View Post

After a looooong and full life, one thing I've noticed is the the problem with common sense is it isn't too common any more.

Amen Brother...Too many kids can't do anything or make a decision without looking up the answer or posting for discussion on their social

 

media pages! I have told me kids...PUT THE DAMN PHONE DOWN AND USE YOUR HEAD!...JJ

 

BTW...Ask a Kid in a Grocery Store or McD's to figure Change Owed when the Register sytem goes down...:help: :ROTF

post #25 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post
 

Perhaps after another forty years of curing, you may consider me being seasoned, until then I’ll just stay sauced. LOL

 

Good luck on your project and hoping it turns out well for you.

 

T

Funny! I can't say I was happy with the results by any means, other than being edible. Considering my total fail on the smoke there was no bark, and after the steaming step it was pretty much a MESS. But hey, without fails we can't get better right? I was pleased with the flavor though so on my next attempt I know I want to use the same brine and rub recipe... maybe up the black pepper a bit. I suck on peppercorns like some people do candies haha. 

 

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

 

BTW...Ask a Kid in a Grocery Store or McD's to figure Change Owed when the Register sytem goes down...:help: :ROTF

 

Back when I had to take my laundry to a laundromat, I was in constant need of quarters. When I would purchase something for say, $8.58, I would give the clerk $10.08. You could see their head almost explode in confusion! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Curing meats and "sell by" dates.