I received my WSM on Wednesday evening and broke it in with a spatchcock chicken. I didn't learn it was in until Wednesday evening so that entire effort was hastily arranged. You can read about that here:
So today I hope to improve on the process. Trying a few things differently:
Lump instead of briquets. Hoping to run a little hotter than it did on Wednesday.
Also I picked up a pair of birds from Costco and brined them for 12 hours and plan to try a couple of my brother in laws rubs. Wednesday's bird was moist but somewhat bland for my taste. Hoping to keep it moist but add some flavor. Also the skin was a bit rubbery.
As many threads that I have read that talk about the lid thermometer reading high, it didn't occur to me on Wednesday that I was probably cooking at a lower temp then I thought. The lid thermo read around 300 most of the cook. I am thinking that might by why it took 3 hours (when most I read take around 1) and why the skin was rubbery.
The birds are on and I am having a weird anomaly with the two thermometers I have. The lid continues to read around 300 but the one I have stuck thru the port is reading 400. So I am really out of sync on this one.
Plus it is overcast and slightly drizzling...
I did order a Maverick ET-733 so hopefully my readings will be more accurate for future cooks.
Right now I have all vents wide open.
Wish me luck.