or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mini Meltdown

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I received a crazy text from my dad about a week ago. It went like this.....

Dad: Melted the whole smoker. Pics will not send

Me: You melted the smoker?

Dad: Yes


So I am at work and not able to call and talk with him...... at this point still no pictures...... it was about an hour or so till I saw some pics....

When I was able to call him and ask what happened.... he starts to explain that he had smoked some chicken a few days ago and while he was preheating the smoker he was burning of the remnants. He was monitoring the temps with a remote thermometer while he was prepping the butt he was going to smoke that day. The temps never went over 275°. He looked out and saw a ton of smoke coming from the smoker. He went out to see the pot start to collapse. The remote thermometer was only reading 325°ish at that moment. So he melted the smoker!!!!

He was already looking at getting an offset smoker, this just sped things up.

Hey he did offer to give me his mini...... I got that going for me....






post #2 of 14
Crazy! I've had my Mini-Za over 700, and didn't melt the pot. Wondering if the therm was off. Melting point of Aluminum is 1221.
post #3 of 14
Wow. I have had mine over 500. Still cooking . That's odd
post #4 of 14

Dauumn, really smoked that smoker.

 

Kind of strange, temps seem low for that to happen.

post #5 of 14
DOHHHHH... That's a one-of-a-kind smoker you inherited there ...
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Crazy! I've had my Mini-Za over 700, and didn't melt the pot. Wondering if the therm was off. Melting point of Aluminum is 1221.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

Wow. I have had mine over 500. Still cooking . That's odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheelerdog View Post

Dauumn, really smoked that smoker.

Kind of strange, temps seem low for that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JckDanls 07 View Post

DOHHHHH... That's a one-of-a-kind smoker you inherited there ...


I agree with all of you. I have asked him to double check his remote thermometer. I am also thinking maybe defective pot.....


Kieth I might have to bring it back to life with a new coat of paint..... we shall see...
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjarchef View Post




I agree with all of you. I have asked him to double check his remote thermometer. I am also thinking maybe defective pot.....


Kieth I might have to bring it back to life with a new coat of paint..... we shall see...

Just patch the hole with duct tape, it'll fix everything!
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Just patch the hole with duct tape, it'll fix everything!

Yes I think that will work....... just need to redrill the shelf support bracket holes, might be a little uneven as it sits....
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjarchef View Post


Yes I think that will work....... just need to redrill the shelf support bracket holes, might be a little uneven as it sits....

Mine doesn't look that bad and its trashed. took the handles off and mounted them on a WSM

Richie

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post

Mine doesn't look that bad and its trashed. took the handles off and mounted them on a WSM
Richie

Not sure what I am going to do yet...... i was thinking of making a designated pizza oven for now....... but then I remembered we are doing the low carb diet thing..... so not sure
post #11 of 14

Don't know how I missed this!   I've melted my original steamer in the Vasconia pot...now it's SS.  I had large pieces of lump warming up lost track of time for about 20 minutes. When I got back to it the therm was pegged and the steamer was melted into molten liquid.

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIsmoker View Post

Don't know how I missed this!   I've melted my original steamer in the Vasconia pot...now it's SS.  I had large pieces of lump warming up lost track of time for about 20 minutes. When I got back to it the therm was pegged and the steamer was melted into molten liquid.

Yea I was shocked when he told me. I honestly did not fully understand him till he sent the pictures. It is sitting in my shed at this time, not really sure what to do with it. I want to make a true mini, but not sure about the aluminum pots, I like to get the smoker very hot to start with. Kind of a way to kill anything that is in there between cooks. Did I see it correct you found a SS pot that will fit?
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjarchef View Post


Yea I was shocked when he told me. I honestly did not fully understand him till he sent the pictures. It is sitting in my shed at this time, not really sure what to do with it. I want to make a true mini, but not sure about the aluminum pots, I like to get the smoker very hot to start with. Kind of a way to kill anything that is in there between cooks. Did I see it correct you found a SS pot that will fit?


No, when I made my Jimmy I kept the bottom cutout and drilled holes in that to replace the melted Vasconia steamer insert.

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Ahhh..... darn.... was hoping....

It would not take much money to get it up and running. I still have all the SS hardware, just need the pot.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mini-WSM