SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Canning & Storage › Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER - Page 6

post #101 of 128
I was actually admiring that bucket Al. I have to find myself one with a nice latched lid like that one.
post #102 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsTallTaleTav View Post

I was actually admiring that bucket Al. I have to find myself one with a nice latched lid like that one.

 

I got it at Walmart. They have several different sizes. I have the room, so I got a couple of the big ones.

 

Al

post #103 of 128

One Word ----   Wow !   These pickles really do bet better the longer they sit, We opened a jar that was 8 months old --  OMG   Flavor was fantastic and still crisp, very crisp .

 

I wold highly recommend trying these pickles  Way, Way better than ANYTHING you can buy

 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

 

points1.png

post #104 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
 

One Word ----   Wow !   These pickles really do bet better the longer they sit, We opened a jar that was 8 months old --  OMG   Flavor was fantastic and still crisp, very crisp .

 

I wold highly recommend trying these pickles  Way, Way better than ANYTHING you can buy

 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

 

points1.png

 

Thank you so much Gary!

It's hard to convince folks that they do get better with age, just like smoked cheese.

So I'm glad to have some backup here!

 

Thanks again Buddy!

 

Al

post #105 of 128
icon14.gif
post #106 of 128
The alum is what makes it crisp I'll try your recipe on my next batch

Ht
post #107 of 128

Some things are better when ya just give 'em time to ripen!

 

 

That's a pint & a half mason pickle jar.  Its been hidden and closely guarded  for a year just for the 4th. Oh I have eaten the other 5 jars I put up. Been saving this one to let it age........

 

 

Thanks Al for that recipe!!

post #108 of 128

I'll second that,  just put up 12 quarts, can't wait till they are ready

 

Gary

post #109 of 128
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys!

 

They definitely get better with age!

 

But don't we all!  :yahoo:

 

Al

post #110 of 128


That is some great self-control. I'm sure the reward was worth it !

post #111 of 128

Has anyone made these with compression from a chamber vacuum? I'ma gonna try it that way in the next few days

post #112 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
 

Has anyone made these with compression from a chamber vacuum? I'ma gonna try it that way in the next few days

 

I'm interested to see if this would work too.

It seems like if the cukes are completely immersed in the brine it would work.

Please let us know if it does indeed work.

 

Al

post #113 of 128

I made the brine up as given on this thread Sunday. I had previously placed the quartered cukes in cold ice water on Saturday night so they'd be cold when I got to them Sunday. The brine and 3 pounds of cukes went easily in a 16x20 vacuum bag. I set the Vacmaster on 29 seconds for the vacuum cycle. It drew the bag down very well, and I could tell compression was at work because the cukes had changed color almost the same time the seal function was done. 

We opened the bag up yesterday for a taste test. Not bad, actually pretty good, but I toyed around with the taste of the brine and added a scant 1/4 cup of sugar to the brine as well as about a tbs of crushed red pepper flakes. I then vacuumed and compressed again and placed back in fridge. Gonna open them up tomorrow, but here's the result after the second compression.

 

post #114 of 128
Thread Starter 

Well it looks like it will work in bags too, that's good to know.

 

Al

post #115 of 128

Thank You for this awesome recipe.  I use this and your rib recipe all the time.

post #116 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driggins88 View Post
 

Thank You for this awesome recipe.  I use this and your rib recipe all the time.

 

Thank you & welcome to SMF!

 

Al

post #117 of 128

This is a great Pickle recipe, Al's right  you start making these You will forget all about buying store bought.

We love these things, Got the neighbor making them too.

 

Gary

post #118 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post

This is a great Pickle recipe, Al's right  you start making these You will forget all about buying store bought.
We love these things, Got the neighbor making them too.

Gary

Good to know! I had to buy vacuum canisters just for this recipe (ok, it was an excuse) because I won't be able to wait! Gonna try them this weekend!
Definitely gonna throw some heat in them! I have the pickles and jalapeños in the garden almost ready!
post #119 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88rxna View Post


Good to know! I had to buy vacuum canisters just for this recipe (ok, it was an excuse) because I won't be able to wait! Gonna try them this weekend!
Definitely gonna throw some heat in them! I have the pickles and jalapeños in the garden almost ready!

 

Yea I'm just about ready to make a new batch myself!

 

Al

post #120 of 128
How would it work if you did them in the vac sealer and then after the 3-5 days canned them in mason jars? I ask because I am very impatient when it comes to homemade pickles, green beans, cauliflower what ever it is I make.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Canning & Storage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Canning & Storage › Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER