Okay....Superbowl experiment went really well, so here is the recipe I created for others to try if they'd like
Luces Smoked Twice Baked Potato and Eggs
4 Russet Potatoes
5 Large Eggs
1.5 Cups Cheddar Cheese
1 package of bacon (or more...I'm not judging)
1 TBS of favorite rub
¼ Cup Milk
1/8 package of Cream Cheese
- Wash and dry potatoes
- Rub potatoes with oil and sprinkle with salt
- Place in smoker at 225-250 for roughly 3hrs using hickory, apple or pecan. (I used pecan)
- Remove once soft to the touch, allow to cool at room temp. Place in fridge until the morning.
- Fry up the bacon
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out inards (leave kinda chunky). Make sure to keep the skins.
- Using some of the bacon fat, fry up the potato you scooped out for 5min or so (just to get some color and crisp).
- Dust potatoes with rub.
- Bacon should be cool by now, so crumble it and set aside.
- Dice jalapeno and set aside.
- Mix cream cheese and .5 cup cheddar cheese and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add 5 eggs, ¼ C of milk and a pinch of salt and beat it like it stole your bike.
- In the skins fill with some of the potato, jalapeno, bacon and cheese mixture than cover with beaten eggs.
- Cover liberally with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Place in oven for 30min @ 300deg.
- Serve with fresh parsley, chives & sour cream (or whatever else you fancy).
Obviously, this works with anything as fillings (mushroom, ham, scallions, onion, sausage, etc.). If anyone else makes these, I'd love to see your iterations.
Edited by Luce - 2/10/16 at 12:46pm