or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

curing

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know where to get solid curing info everywhere I seem to look has different measurments on how much pink salt to use and say if you use to much people get sick thanks in advance.
post #2 of 17

You should use 1 level tsp per 5lbs of ground meat of instacure #1 (Salt, Sodium nitrite 6.25%) and 1 level TBSP per gallon of water for brine.

post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince m View Post

Does anyone know where to get solid curing info everywhere I seem to look has different measurments on how much pink salt to use and say if you use to much people get sick thanks in advance.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/curing-salts-for-sausage-making

 

All the info you need 

Richie

post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBombersfan View Post
 

You should use 1 level tsp per 5lbs of ground meat of instacure #1 (Salt, Sodium nitrite 6.25%) and 1 level TBSP per gallon of water for brine.


Ditto

post #5 of 17

If you plan on doing much curing, I recommend you get an electronic scale to weigh stuff...   0-100 grams capacity will allow for accurate weights for cure, spices and seasonings to replicate future recipes...   

There are different amounts of cure to be used for different "styles" of curing and different meats.... 

 

Bacon, as an example...  in a brine, pumped and massaged, 120 Ppm max. allowed ingoing nitrite...   Dry rubbed, 200 Ppm max. allowable ingoing nitrite..   Those are the USDA standards for a commercial operation...

 

....USDA maximum allowable ingoing nitrite amounts....

 

120 Ppm ingoing equals 0.88 grams cure #1 per pound....

200 Ppm ingoing equals 1.45 grams cure #1 per pound...

156 Ppm ingoing nitrite is recommended for ground meat as in sausages and that equals 1.13 grams cure #1 per pound...

post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince m View Post

Does anyone know where to get solid curing info everywhere I seem to look has different measurments on how much pink salt to use and say if you use to much people get sick thanks in advance.

The books written by Stan and Adam Marianski are great resources for curing and sausage making.

Dave is right on target about weighing your curing salts and using a GOOD scale. When it comes to grams, accuracy is important.
post #7 of 17
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the great info.
post #9 of 17
post #10 of 17

Umm, what are you wanting to cure for the most part? I doubt you are going to jump into a hard salami next week per say. If you are just starting out, Morton's Tender Quick is a good cure that uses both sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate. It is labeled to be dosed by volume to weight, i.e., you use 1 TBL to 1 LB. of meat. I use it a lot for dove breasts and smaller cuts of meat that would render cure#1 useless. 

Pink salt really should be reserved for large batches of sausage or brines in my opinion. I use pink salt for bacons, hams,  corned beef and pastramis etc. all in brines.

I do second the notion and HIGHLY recommend a good digital scale.

post #11 of 17
How would any cut of meat render pink salt useless?
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post


....USDA maximum allowable ingoing nitrite amounts....

120 Ppm ingoing equals 0.88 grams cure #1 per pound....
200 Ppm ingoing equals 1.45 grams cure #1 per pound...
156 Ppm ingoing nitrite is recommended for ground meat as in sausages and that equals 1.13 grams cure #1 per pound...

Dave I can't thank you enough for breaking this down this way!! I don't think I'm alone in being confused and somewhat intimidated by the sometimes overly scientific lingo used in discussions on curing. When the topic turns to parts per million my eyes glaze over and I lose focus quickly. This explanation makes it easy for the non scientifically minded like myself (i.e. Dummies) to decipher and safely cure meats and sausage. POINTS!
post #13 of 17

Bum, morning and you are welcome.... 

 

Ppm is the number of parts in a million....  

 

454 grams / 1,000,000 = .000454 ...   multiply that by 120 for 120 parts in a million....  

 

.000454 x 120 = 0.05448....  That is how much nitrite is need for the 120 Ppm.... 

 

Cure #1 is 6.25% nitrite or 0.0625......  

 

0 .05448 divided by the percentage nitrite in the cure = how much cure you need to add....

 

.05448 / 0.0625 =  0.87 grams cure #1

 

****************

 

or 454 x 0.000120 / 0.0625 = 0.87

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBuzzard View Post

How would any cut of meat render pink salt useless?


I was wondering the same thing.

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBuzzard View Post

How would any cut of meat render pink salt useless?

Say for 1 Lb. of dove breasts. Very hard to measure it out and distribute it evenly. I use both pink salt and tender quick, depending on which one is easier to measure for the amount of meat I'm doing.

Pink salt in brines, TQ as a dry rub. Just my opinion.

That's all I meant by that. 

post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit 4 Brains View Post
 

Say for 1 Lb. of dove breasts. Very hard to measure it out and distribute it evenly. I use both pink salt and tender quick, depending on which one is easier to measure for the amount of meat I'm doing.

Pink salt in brines, TQ as a dry rub. Just my opinion.

That's all I meant by that. 


Makes sense.

post #17 of 17

If you measure out the salt, sugar, and spices required for the dish, then add the correct amount of cure #1, it will be no different than trying to spread TQ equally all over the meat....

 

I have a batch of mix I use for fish made up in a zip bag....  When I want to smoke a fish, I weigh out 18 grams per pound of fish and sprinkle it over the fish...    salt is perfect, sugar is perfect, spices are perfect and the cure #1 is the correct amount....  My fish turns out exactly the same every batch...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion