My First Smoke:
Bacon Wrapped ABTs
Twice Baked Potatos
10 Chicken Thighs with Skin on
10 Chicken Thighs with Skin off (Wife wanted me to leave it off half)
Covered in EVOO
Rubbed McCormick Grill Mates Seasoning all over, (Under skin on ones with skin)
Stored in fridge overnight
3:45 Pre-heated MES 40 to 225°F
Added Mesquite Chips
4:00 Sprayed Racks with PAM
Put Thighs in MES (w/out skin on top rack, w/skin on second)
Smoked at 225°F
5:45 Raise Temp to 250
ABTs placed on 4th Rack
Smoke at 250°F
6:45 Raise Temp to 275
Taters placed on 4th Rack
Smoke at 275°F
8:00 Remove and Pig out!
1. Chicken was just a tad dry. Probably smoked at 275 for to long.
(Company called and said they would be 45 min later than planned)
2. Chicken with skin turned out much better than w/out. W/out skin had a dry surface but still good taste..
Not bad overall, but w/skin was better... May try wrapping thighs with bacon next time.
3. My wife and I agreed that we got the taste we were shooting for (similar to our local BBQ restaurant). We both agreed that we
like grilled thighs better than the smoke.
4. Will probably stick with quarters or whole birds in the future.
5. New chips were needed every 25 minutes to keep smoke going... Gonna need some mods (Please suggest)
6. Potatoes and ABTs were awesome!