or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Wood Smokers › Brinkman trailmaster vertical
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brinkman trailmaster vertical

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
So today I was allowed to open it.

IMG_20151206_192053278_zpsiaihkgjj.jpg

Went together great. Instructions were easy to follow.

IMG_20151225_141348532_HDR_zps6zdmnjyz.jpg

Started 3/4 chimney on bbq, once burning good I dumped into the FB and added a split of oak.

IMG_20151225_142832261_HDR_zps3ooul37t.jpg

Thick smoke for a bit but not bad.

IMG_20151225_142610610_zpslrje0qgf.jpg

Then it thinned out once around 225.

IMG_20151225_145412904_zpsfznnpiqc.jpg

Been running just wood.

IMG_20151225_144757322_zpsqzhoggtv.jpg


Everyone says about how bad they leak, mine is sealed tight. Easy to control temps. The therm is way off, am using my mav. Very pleased with this smoker.

Only thing I will do is add a hot plate to smoked my cured meats and sausage later on.

Also make a charcoal basket.

Might throw some meat on it tomorrow
post #2 of 19
Quick question?

Is using splits any different than chunks? I use chunks in my WSM & I've always been told to not let the chunks catch fire, just kinda smolder? The fire would cause extreme heat & a bitter taste from the white smoke?

Other than that, NICE SMOKER CONGRATULATIONS!!
post #3 of 19
Looking good Adam! What's your first smoke going to be????
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Looking good Adam! What's your first smoke going to be????

Got me a bird out for tomorrow Case.
post #5 of 19
I'll be keeping my eyes peeled!
post #6 of 19
Awesome Adam, looks great... Be lookin for your bird smoke tomorrow ! icon14.gif
post #7 of 19
That's awesome! I just got one recently as well. I ran royal oak lump all weekend for my first cook(s) and I am looking forward to getting a load of wood soon as that thing sucks down charcoal something fierce. I was even running a basket and it still burned a lot. Went through 26 lbs on a 14 hour smoke.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
It's not easy on wood either.

I used 8 splits in 3 hours
post #9 of 19
Glad to see you got your smoker up and running. Was just wondering what temp did it like to run at?
ENJOY!!
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
It run 250-275 nice. I could go higher or lower thou.

Another run coming tomorrow.
post #11 of 19
Sweet! So, she made you wait the whole time? I'd have been foaming at the mouth!

Looking forward to the first smoke!

Oh yeah, now you can hang some stuff as well.
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBuzzard View Post

Sweet! So, she made you wait the whole time? I'd have been foaming at the mouth!

Looking forward to the first smoke!

Oh yeah, now you can hang some stuff as well.

She wanted me to wait, so I did.

It has sausage hooks on the top of it. Will get pics tomorrow of them.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

She wanted me to wait, so I did.

It has sausage hooks on the top of it. Will get pics tomorrow of them.

icon14.gif
post #14 of 19
That's a good bit but probably still much cheaper than charcoal. Good to know what to expect. I can get a truckload of oak for less than $100 and a truckload of fruitwood for about $200. 16lbs of lump charcoal costs me $15 and a big bag of chunks is about $25. I can get about 24 hours of smoke time on 4 bags of charcoal and 1 bag of chunks so I think I'll save money with wood.
post #15 of 19
A
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

It's not easy on wood either.

I used 8 splits in 3 hours
Actually that's about average for wood use. I figure 2 splits when I start my fire and usually a split about every half hour.
250-275 that's pretty nice temp icon14.gif. I just usually let my offset run where it's comfortable which is around 275.
Excited to see your bird cook today!
post #16 of 19
That's a really nice looking rig, Adam. I agree with hardcookin on the wood consumption. I use about 2 chimneys of RO lump to begin with in my offset to get it up to temp and establish a good bed of coals. After that, it's about 2 splits an hour. My cooker likes to run about 260-275* with everything wide open and the temp maintained by the fire.

Good luck and keep on smokin', Joe
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
post #18 of 19

A nice looking rig for sure Adam.  I love my stick burner.  But as you said about yours, it's not easy on wood. I burned more than expected on my first few smokes.  

While I'm still learning on the thing, I'm thinking that the wood I've been using may be over seasoned.  Too dang dry,,,  I've just been using some of the dead wood that I cut or pick up around the property and cutting int to length with a chainsaw.

I've got some oak I need to clear. I may cut it and give it a proper seasoning just to see if it burns longer. 

 

Any who...  I like your smoker a lot! b

post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSkelly View Post

A nice looking rig for sure Adam.  I love my stick burner.  But as you said about yours, it's not easy on wood. I burned more than expected on my first few smokes.  
While I'm still learning on the thing, I'm thinking that the wood I've been using may be over seasoned.  Too dang dry,,,  I've just been using some of the dead wood that I cut or pick up around the property and cutting int to length with a chainsaw.
I've got some oak I need to clear. I may cut it and give it a proper seasoning just to see if it burns longer. 

Any who...  I like your smoker a lot! b

Thanks B.

I have this wood sitting beside my coal stove, maybe it's to dry?

I have some still in the woods, cut 2 years ago
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Wood Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Wood Smokers › Brinkman trailmaster vertical