SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Small test batch in the smoker for new recipe. Now with finished pics...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Small test batch in the smoker for new recipe. Now with finished pics...

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Dear Old Dad, and Uncle Dan want some smoked sausage for our family gathering this weekend. I asked what kind, and dad said to do something new. Seeing as how the olde pharts got me started in this madness we call a hobby, I felt obliged to come up with something.

So, knowing their tastes lean towards a beefy flavor, with a slight spice, I came up with the following:

Uncle Charlie's Smoked Sausage

1700g beef (chuck)
680g pork (butt)

50g NFDM
42g Smoked kosher salt
9.5g Fresh cracked black pepper
6g Cure #1
6g Hot paprika
4.5g Marjoram
4.5g Mustard seed (whole)
8g Garlic

I ground and mixed last night (Tuesday), stuffed and smoking tonight. Since this is a new recipe, I only did a small batch.

The patty fry test tasted GOOD! Depending on the flavor after smoke, I'll probably be doing a larger batch very soon!

Here they are ready for preheat. Money shot in a couple of more hours.

post #2 of 23
Watching. The mix sounds good to this newbie
post #3 of 23

Plumb Purdy

 

Gary

post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
Ladies and gentlemen, this is a keeper!

The texture came out really well, the flavor is a beefy pork, and the spice is spot on! The hot paprika and black pepper gives a nice tingle at the end. The mustard seed gives an occasional crunch with a flavor burst!

Even the bride thought this one was a winner!


Here they are fresh from the ice bath and chilling on the counter.


The money shot I promised! I'll admit, eating the sacrificial photo slices was wonderful!


All vac packed up now, ready to take to dad and uncle Dan!
post #5 of 23
Thanks for sharing the recipe CB, I've been wanting to make something different and this sounds good to me!
The money shot looks like a nice grind and bind, well done brother.
post #6 of 23

CB looks great Glad to see the Mrs. getting around better.

Richie

post #7 of 23
Looks good, what size grind?
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBuzzard View Post

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a keeper!

The texture came out really well, the flavor is a beefy pork, and the spice is spot on! The hot paprika and black pepper gives a nice tingle at the end. The mustard seed gives an occasional crunch with a flavor burst!

Even the bride thought this one was a winner!


Here they are fresh from the ice bath and chilling on the counter.


The money shot I promised! I'll admit, eating the sacrificial photo slices was wonderful!


All vac packed up now, ready to take to dad and uncle Dan!

 

 

 

What about Uncle Gary ???

post #9 of 23

Man that really looks good, nice job there CB   points1.png

 

 

Gary

post #10 of 23

Another winner CB!!! :points:Reinhard.

post #11 of 23

Oh man, that looks delicious!

post #12 of 23
What size natural casings do you use for smoked sausage? How about fresh sausage? I think over the holiday I may be trying my hand in a couple varieties of fresh & smoked sausage.
post #13 of 23
I'm thinking you used fresh garlic.... ?????
post #14 of 23

:sausage:  Man CB your slowly pushing me into trying some sausage. Do work? Where do you find the time for all this or are you just hiding from the Mrs. till she is over her contrary moods after surgery? Great looking recipe again.

post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 

Thanks all, I'm going to have a hard time not eating this before Sunday!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by murraysmokin View Post

What size natural casings do you use for smoked sausage? How about fresh sausage? I think over the holiday I may be trying my hand in a couple varieties of fresh & smoked sausage.

I used 38/42 hog casing for these and I'd use the same for brats and fresh sausages.

 

Once you get started, you'll be hooked!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

I'm thinking you used fresh garlic.... ?????

Fresh garlic it was!  I ended up using 3 cloves, it was a little over 8 grams, but we like garlic

post #16 of 23

Dang it CB this looks great!! Nice job, :points: 

 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

 

DS
 

post #17 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post
 

Dang it CB this looks great!! Nice job, :points: 

 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

 

DS
 

Thanks!

 

This recipe is going to be made into some snack sticks in the next couple of weeks.  I brought a small bit into work and my sausage making friend here is talking about this being a big part of the sausage making fest after the first of the year.

post #18 of 23

That is a fine looking sausage, CB.

 

Point

 

Disco

post #19 of 23

No one can squish a weenie like you Buzz.  Outstanding is not a big enough word.  Happy to see the bride is now well and her sense of humor is back. 

B

:points:

post #20 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSkelly View Post

No one can squish a weenie like you Buzz.  Outstanding is not a big enough word.  Happy to see the bride is now well and her sense of humor is back. 
B
points.gif

Thanks Brian!

She's definitely got her humor back, bite is back too! icon_eek.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Small test batch in the smoker for new recipe. Now with finished pics...