or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying a 18.5 WSM

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

So, I was trying to build a mini WSM but getting the parts shipped to me in S Korea has proven to be quite difficult.  Picking up a WSM this weekend (Saturday) and plan on "seasoning" it Sunday after my units holiday party Saturday night.  Are there any "must do" mods before I smoke my Chirstmas Eve dinner on it? 

 

Second question.  Can I use wood chips or must I use wood chunks?  I have found a place in the US to ship chunks but it's a tad pricey.  I'm okay with that, but to start smoking sooner than later I will be using chips if the Korean store carries them.  I think he does.  

Cold smoking...should I order a amazn tube or tray or just use a few coals with a chunk (when I can get them).

 

Thanks from Korea,

Joe

post #2 of 11
Chunks work best. 2"-3". Chips burn up too fast and you will have to be opening the door and adding all the time. That will waste fuel costing you more money. It will also cause temp spikes and drops opening he door.

I use the tube and pellets. Primarily because I bought the tubes for use in my propane smoker. If going the tube route look at getting the new oval shaped expandable tube that has just come out.

When you season your smoker go ahead and throw a chicken on there, no reason to waste fuel.
post #3 of 11

Chunks are better, but a foil packet of chips can work.  Do as many smokes in it as you can before Christmas dinner - so you understand how it works.

post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
I hope the learning curve is small since I'm coming from the UDS I used when stationed state side.

It's in the 20s to 30s here. Will the tube provide enough heat to prevent the meat from freezing? Gonna order some salt and do some bacon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthquake5683 View Post

I hope the learning curve is small since I'm coming from the UDS I used when stationed state side.

It's in the 20s to 30s here. Will the tube provide enough heat to prevent the meat from freezing? Gonna order some salt and do some bacon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you can run a UDS, you can run a WSM. I prefer to fill my charcoal basket in the WSM full and then use a propane torch to light it through one or two of the bottom vents, depending on the pit temp I am looking for.

 

I use the AMNTS tube smoker all the time in temps between 20°f-30°f. works just fine for cold smoking bacon. If you're really worried add a couple lit briquettes as needed. The very first time I used my AMNTS to cold smoke bacon it was 18°f !

post #6 of 11

Yeah... running a UDS and WSM are very similar, minion method and your good to go. You really don't need to season the WSM much - all your looking to do is burn off any oil/dirt film that is on it, the metal itself is porcelain coated so it does not need any further protection. Smoke some chicken on it a few nights to get used to it, and main thing to remember is the WSM runs hot for the first dozen smokes or so. So make sure to damp it down early before the temp runs away from you.

 

I would see if there are any local hard woods they use for cooking - should be able to get that in splits or chunks fairly cheap. Best of luck, thanks for your service, and Merry Christmas from the States!

 

Johnny

post #7 of 11
I just recently got a 18.5....one thing I found was the top grate didn't sit securely on the L brackets. If you bumped it, the grate could have fallen down into the cooker...food and all. It is a known issue with some of the WSM known as Out Of Round. Did some reaserch and found a great site online for WSM which provided a mod, add some stainless steel washers between the inside of the cooker and the bracket. What this does is put the extended piece of metal out further towards the middle of the cooker, in turn the rack sits more secure. Hope this helps...loving that WSM so far!

-Rob
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRob View Post

I just recently got a 18.5....one thing I found was the top grate didn't sit securely on the L brackets. If you bumped it, the grate could have fallen down into the cooker...food and all. It is a known issue with some of the WSM known as Out Of Round. Did some reaserch and found a great site online for WSM which provided a mod, add some stainless steel washers between the inside of the cooker and the bracket. What this does is put the extended piece of metal out further towards the middle of the cooker, in turn the rack sits more secure. Hope this helps...loving that WSM so far!

-Rol​

 

lol... you probably found my old link in The Virtual Weber Bullit forums, it was super popular for the eyelet portion of that post for several years.

 

Take a look at the link below my signature it shows the mod TexasRob is talking about along with my original eyelet mod - which is now useless since Weber started adding the rubber grommit as a standard feature. Also if for some reason you have an out of round center section that is so bad it's not worth messing with Weber customer service does a great job replacing them. Only seen a few people that had to get them replaced, but Weber took care of them every time.

 

Johnny

post #9 of 11
I don't remember which link gave me the insight for the washer trick, I probaby read yours . I have spent alot of time on the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board recently. My cooker came with the gromet, but I did do the same thing....3 stainless steel washers behind each bracket. It definitely helped the top rack issue for me.

-Rob
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRob View Post

I don't remember which link gave me the insight for the washer trick, I probaby read yours . I have spent alot of time on the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board recently. My cooker came with the gromet, but I did do the same thing....3 stainless steel washers behind each bracket. It definitely helped the top rack issue for me.

-Rob


Yeah.... I dumped half a pan of baked beans on some chicken on the lower rack before I realized I needed to make a change.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the info.  I was able to find the store and get it yesterday.  Picked it up and everything seems to fit snug when I assembled it.  I have it roaring right now with some pork steaks (cut from the shoulder I guess) and the chicken is sitting in brine as I type this.  This is the first time I haven't used lump, does it always smoke this much?  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Charcoal Smokers