or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anduille Dreams

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Looks like it's sausage time around here, and I guess I'll toss in another one☺
I saw a recipe for Anduille at www.nolacuisine and thought I'd give it a try.
It called for 5# but I broke it down for 3# of butt.
After getting the ingredients together and cutting the pork up it got mixed and put in the fridge to cure.


After about 24hours the color looked good.
So about half got ground with the course plate and the other half got chopped into 1\4" pieces (very tedious!). Time for stuffing.
For smoking I gave the new mailbox a try with a hotplate for heat in the MB gasser.


After about 2 1\2 hrs at 120 (which was the best I could get at 50 degrees outside), they looked good.
Then into the house oven to take them up to 155 and then to a cold bath.
They turned out not very pretty, but tasting good!
Pretty chunky mix, so try as could, I still got some air pockets, but then again, I'm pretty new at this! No real harm done, I'm just a little embarassed because of the pretty sausages most of you turn out😕
Pretty good with cheese & crackers, but I'm thinking about Red Beans & Rice. Any thoughts, Foamheart? sausage.gif
post #2 of 13
For a first round, I'd say you're ahead of the game! I'd love some of that. As for the air pockets and pretty, none of us turned out beauty all the time at first and all of us still have the occasional oops, or in my case, a week of oops!

Like I've told folks before, I've had pretty that tasted like a$$, and I've had ugly that tasted like heaven! Time my friend!

I'm saying points for the effort and for turning out a good sausage!
post #3 of 13
Looks good.

It doesn't matter what it looks like, its the taste that counts.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

Looks good.

It doesn't matter what it looks like, its the taste that counts.

                                    yeahthat.gif

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it!

post #6 of 13

Not saying anyone way is wrong, but I do mine a little different and it make loading the casings a bit easier. First I couse grind really chunky (I was doing this with a knife in the beginning), then I chill. Then I mix in the seasonings mix and l rechill. When I say chill its long enough to ensure VERY cold meat. 4 /5 hours or overnight. The finial step just before stuffing I add 1/4 to 1/2 C of water which has the cure dissolved in it. AND I stuff it, then I allow it to bloom ( not exactly my word but I read it here a lot), Let it re-chill....LOL Then smoke it. I never make sausages in one day its always 2 or three days in the making.

 

By adding the cure at the very last, it doesn't firm up the pork until the re-chill and its already stuffed in the casing. It sure makes the stuffing easier. PLUS I use 46MM+ casings for andouille.Closer to the proper size. Not trying to make sausages.

 

That's just my way. Everyone does it there way, maybe something there can help you. Or not....LOL

post #7 of 13

SM , Nice looking sausage sir!, I'll take a plate of that anytime .

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post

Not saying anyone way is wrong, but I do mine a little different and it make loading the casings a bit easier. First I couse grind really chunky (I was doing this with a knife in the beginning), then I chill. Then I mix in the seasonings mix and l rechill. When I say chill its long enough to ensure VERY cold meat. 4 /5 hours or overnight. The finial step just before stuffing I add 1/4 to 1/2 C of water which has the cure dissolved in it. AND I stuff it, then I allow it to bloom ( not exactly my word but I read it here a lot), Let it re-chill....LOL Then smoke it. I never make sausages in one day its always 2 or three days in the making.

By adding the cure at the very last, it doesn't firm up the pork until the re-chill and its already stuffed in the casing. It sure makes the stuffing easier. PLUS I use 46MM+ casings for andouille.Closer to the proper size. Not trying to make sausages.

That's just my way. Everyone does it there way, maybe something there can help you. Or not....LOL

I'll take all the info/input I can get! I don't believe in "Too much information". It's like reading and listening to the news. Don't take any of it for Gospel, just take in as much as you can and make your own decisions.
Actually the recipe I used called for hanging it in the fridge overnight so the casings would dry, but most of the people around here just let it air dry for a bit. Since I had to work Monday and the weather didn't look good for when I got home, that's what I went with (besides, when I mentioned hanging it in the fridge overnight I got " The Look").
The casings I've been using are ones I got from a couple of "kits" at Gander Mountain when I bought the stuffer, and probably aren't the best. Planning to rectify that...
I kept looking for a "bloom" myself. Wasn't sure what to look for, but I'm sure someone will let us know! 😊

Dan
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMose View Post

Looks like it's sausage time around here, and I guess I'll toss in another one☺
I saw a recipe for Anduille at www.nolacuisine and thought I'd give it a try.
It called for 5# but I broke it down for 3# of butt.
After getting the ingredients together and cutting the pork up it got mixed and put in the fridge to cure.


After about 24hours the color looked good.
So about half got ground with the course plate and the other half got chopped into 1\4" pieces (very tedious!). Time for stuffing.
For smoking I gave the new mailbox a try with a hotplate for heat in the MB gasser.


After about 2 1\2 hrs at 120 (which was the best I could get at 50 degrees outside), they looked good.
Then into the house oven to take them up to 155 and then to a cold bath.
They turned out not very pretty, but tasting good!
Pretty chunky mix, so try as could, I still got some air pockets, but then again, I'm pretty new at this! No real harm done, I'm just a little embarassed because of the pretty sausages most of you turn out😕
Pretty good with cheese & crackers, but I'm thinking about Red Beans & Rice. Any thoughts, Foamheart? sausage.gif


red beans n rice will work , you can always convert it to boudin if need be

post #10 of 13

Very Nice,,, Looks good to me 

 

A full smoker is a happy smoker

 

DS
 

post #11 of 13

I'd love to have some of this.

 

Disco

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks again to everyone for the views, comments, encouragement and points!
Until joining this Forum, it never occured to me that you could make sausage at home (and I'd never even heard of Boudin and Anduille!).
Looks like I'm hooked now and it's all your fault.....icon_confused.gif

Dan
post #13 of 13

LOL... wait till you try bacon!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage