or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jeff's Rub question

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I just bought Jeffs Rub and BBQ sauce recipe to support the forum and because I like great food! I'm starting a brisket tomorrow and want to try his "Texas Style" rub, should I rub the brisket tonight?

I have St Louis ribs going with his "Naked Ribs" rub now and that was clear on when/how to use with best results. I'm doing a holiday smoked lunch on Tuesday for guys from work and do not have time/cash to experiment with the brisket and rub! Thanks for your time!
post #2 of 11

Hey bauchjw, I think it is completely up to you. I have Jeff's book Smoking Meat and just did a quick read for you on rubs. He says in his opinion

he could not detect any big difference in putting the rub on hours before smoking or right before smoking. I usually put mine on the night before

only because I always have to start smoking very early in the morning due to my work schedule. So again IMHO it is completely up to you which

one you choose. hope this helps. have fun and enjoy!!

post #3 of 11

I bought Jeff's rub too when I joined the site.  I didn't treat the recipes properly and lost the Texas style beef rub.  It was a freebie included with the purchase so i wasn't real bothered.  I've smoked ribs and butts with the original rub recipe and they are the best ever!  I almost purchase the rub recipe again every time I do a brisket, but then I remember...salt and pepper is all beef needs!  Happy smoking!

 

Mike

post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKIN POP-POP View Post

Hey bauchjw, I think it is completely up to you. I have Jeff's book Smoking Meat and just did a quick read for you on rubs. He says in his opinion
he could not detect any big difference in putting the rub on hours before smoking or right before smoking. I usually put mine on the night before
only because I always have to start smoking very early in the morning due to my work schedule. So again IMHO it is completely up to you which
one you choose. hope this helps. have fun and enjoy!!
Thank you for your time! The book is under my tree from the wife and I look forward to it! Night before is new to me but so is brisket and a lot of brisket rubs call for night before. Thank you again!
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5051 View Post

I bought Jeff's rub too when I joined the site.  I didn't treat the recipes properly and lost the Texas style beef rub.  It was a freebie included with the purchase so i wasn't real bothered.  I've smoked ribs and butts with the original rub recipe and they are the best ever!  I almost purchase the rub recipe again every time I do a brisket, but then I remember...salt and pepper is all beef needs!  Happy smoking!

Mike

Thank you for your time Mike! True about beef, but I've read so much about these and want to support the site so am giving it a go. BBQ sauce is done and my wife already loves it so succes so far!
post #6 of 11

Honestly, I don't find any benefit of doing the rub the night before a smoke.  It seems to produce the same result if I rub it immediately before I put it on.  So that's what I do. 

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwaldoguy View Post

Honestly, I don't find any benefit of doing the rub the night before a smoke.  It seems to produce the same result if I rub it immediately before I put it on.  So that's what I do. 
I've never noticed a difference either, but if a rub recipe I read says to do it I normally do. Honestly until I started this forum and doing low and slow with PP and brisket Id never even heard of it as a technique. Thank you for your time!
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 



Ribs with Jeffs rub and sauce came out amazing. We didn't need a desert or side to distract us from the main event!
post #9 of 11


GOOD LOOKIN RIBS !!:drool:

post #10 of 11

That's some serious bark. What's your secret?

post #11 of 11

Nice ribs!  Good job.

 

Mike

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion