or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Two smokers going

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Had to work this morning so I am getting a late start. But a late start is better than no start. I have the mes and the Jimmy going this afternoon.
Trying cheese for the first time in the mes with the 12" AMNTS filled with sugar maple pellets. Two lbs of Colby Monterey Jack, two lbs of mild cheddar and a lb of pepperjack.


The Jimmy is chugging along with cherry chunks. Two pork tenderloins injected with Tony Chachere's honey praline. One rubbed with brown sugar, the other lightly coated with molasses. Never done one either way so we will see how they do.


Smoke it up.
William
post #2 of 17
Hope it all turns out! Let us know how the cheese turns out with the maple!drool.gif
post #3 of 17
it's all looking good... just keep an eye on the cheese as the pellets will warm the smoker up some .... you can fill some half gallon jugs with water and freeze and put one (or two) in the smoker if it's getting to warm (next time) ....
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JckDanls 07 View Post

it's all looking good... just keep an eye on the cheese as the pellets will warm the smoker up some .... you can fill some half gallon jugs with water and freeze and put one (or two) in the smoker if it's getting to warm (next time) ....
I have a frozen half gallon jug on the rack under the cheese and the tube is in the mailbox mod running thru 4' of vent pipe.

Smoke it up.
William
post #5 of 17
my bad... didn't know your set up... sorry ....
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JckDanls 07 View Post

my bad... didn't know your set up... sorry ....
No worries, Jack. Thanks for looking out. Not exactly sure how long I want to leave the cheese in. Any suggestions for the types of cheese I am doing?

Smoke it up.
William
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Pulled the cheese out. It was in the smoke for 5 1/2 hrs.

Flipped one over to see the difference.
Pepper jack


Mild cheddar


Colby/Monterey Jack


Will let them sit on the counter overnight and vac pack them before work tomorrow. They smell so good it's gonna be hard not to cut a piece to taste.

Smoke it up.
William
post #8 of 17

William that cheese looks great I'll check back later.

Richie

post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post

William that cheese looks great I'll check back later.
Richie

Thanks, Richie. I am not use to having to wait 3-4 weeks to see how something I did turns out.

Smoke it up.
William
Edited by hamrhead1971 - 12/7/15 at 5:30am
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Got up this morning and vac sealed my first batch of smoked cheese. Still smells purty good.


One thing I am not sure about is how hard the outside got overnight. Normally when it does that around here, that part gets cut off and thrown away so we'll see what happens. The house heat was on 67 last night if it matters any.
Guess I will update this in a few weeks.

Smoke it up.
William
post #11 of 17
Nice looking batch of cheese..

I usually dry mine in the fridge overnight. If I don't have the room in the fridge, I'll leave it on the counter with a fan on it for 4-5 hrs, than vac.

The wait sucks, but resist the temptation to open one too soon. I like a 4-6 week rest.
post #12 of 17
Looks like you got some good color!
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post

Nice looking batch of cheese..

I usually dry mine in the fridge overnight. If I don't have the room in the fridge, I'll leave it on the counter with a fan on it for 4-5 hrs, than vac.

The wait sucks, but resist the temptation to open one too soon. I like a 4-6 week rest.
The wife would throw me and the cheese out of the house if I was to try putting it in the fridge. She is not a fan of the smoke smell.
I don't have to work about temptations as I am on the road this week.

Smoke it up.
William
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

Looks like you got some good color!
Thank you sir. I was a little surprised at the color change.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamrhead1971 View Post

The wife would throw me and the cheese out of the house if I was to try putting it in the fridge. She is not a fan of the smoke smell.
I don't have to work about temptations as I am on the road this week.

Smoke it up.
William

My wife is the same way. Except when it comes to cheese. When I open a piece, she will cut all the outside edges off for herself, and leave me with the rest..wife.gif

At least I get the first taste.. lol
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
So I gave all the cheese to family at Christmas. The cheddar was ok even though I am not a big fan of cheddar. The wife liked it after she cut the edges off. The colby/jack was fantastic. We made a lasagna on Saturday and used the colby/jack on one end, it was the best lasagna my 80 yr old mama ever made.
The pepperjack was snatched up and I didn't even get to try it, lol. My brother did call me though and said he wants at least a pound of the pepperjack next time I smoke some so it must have been good.
Stopped this afternoon and started to stock up for the next load of cheese, hopefully this weekend.

I will be sticking with maple pellets.

Smoke it up

William
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamrhead1971 View Post

So I gave all the cheese to family at Christmas. The cheddar was ok even though I am not a big fan of cheddar. The wife liked it after she cut the edges off. The colby/jack was fantastic. We made a lasagna on Saturday and used the colby/jack on one end, it was the best lasagna my 80 yr old mama ever made.
The pepperjack was snatched up and I didn't even get to try it, lol. My brother did call me though and said he wants at least a pound of the pepperjack next time I smoke some so it must have been good.
Stopped this afternoon and started to stock up for the next load of cheese, hopefully this weekend.

I will be sticking with maple pellets.

Smoke it up

William

Sounds like a overall success. icon14.gif

Give that cheddar a few more weeks to mellow, and I bet your wife won't cut the edges off. My cheese gets 6 weeks minimum.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion