or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Made Kielbasa --need HELP or ADVICE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Made Kielbasa --need HELP or ADVICE

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Made a 5# batch this weekend but pretty much tasteless....Below is what I used but divided all ingredients in half because I only made a 5 # batch. Mixed, stuffed, dried then smoked for 4 hours with Maple, turned heat up until IT was 152 then into an ice water bath til temp was 100 degrees. Hung and bloomed for 2 hours or so then into the fridge. Texture, color and mouth feel were all excellent but there is little if any taste other than tasting like pork. Any ideas, comments and advice would be greatly appreciated!! 

 

• 5 Tb. salt
• 1 Tb. sugar
• 2 large cloves of fresh
garlic
• 1 Tb. coarse black pepper
• 1 heaping tsp. marjoram
• 2 cups ice water
• 10 lbs. boneless pork butts
• 2 cups
soy protein concentrate or non-fat dry milk
• 2 tsp. Instacure No. 1

 

 

post #2 of 13
I use about five cloves of garlic, I use two tablespoon of marjoram, and I use chicken broth instead of water, but I am far from an expert. Try for 80/20 on your fat content
post #3 of 13

i have made alot of kielbasa with this recipe, its a great site and have made more things from here.

i dont use the MSG ... and have done 50/50 game meat to pork, and also 100% pork. never been dissapointed. i usually smoke with hickory and dont keep the smoke on the whole time till i reach 152 

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Kielbasa-dave.pdf

 

GOOD LUCK

 

Goliath

post #4 of 13

That seems awful light on seasoning for five pounds. 1 Medium clove garlic is 1.5tsp minced about 5 grams. That's what I use in 2.2 pounds! You added just slightly more for 5 pounds. Here is an old family recipe from a Polish friend of mine and all I use. This shows the amount of each ingredient for 1000g of meat. Weigh how much meat you have, divide by 1000 to get a ratio. Multiply each ingredient by that ratio to get the amount you need. In the case below, 1800g actual divided by 1000 equals a ratio of 1.8. Multiple by 1.8 to get how much of each ingredient needed. You will need a gram scale...JJ

 

Kielbasa
Meats Gr/Kg Actual Ratio
pork (picnic 75%) 1000 1800.0 1.8
Kosher Salt 17 30.6 1.8
Cure #1 2.25 4.1 1.8
Cracked Black Pepper 2 3.6 1.8
Minced Garlic 5 9.0 1.8
cold water 115 207.0 1.8

Marjoram                              .5         .9            1.8


Edited by Chef JimmyJ - 11/16/15 at 10:44am
post #5 of 13

Why did you use 2 tsp. of cure for a 5 pound batch? You should have used 1 tsp. for 5 pounds.

 

Here's a good link with types and amounts of cures to use:

 

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
 

Why did you use 2 tsp. of cure for a 5 pound batch? You should have used 1 tsp. for 5 pounds.

 

Here's a good link with types and amounts of cures to use:

 

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

 

This was the first line of my original thread..........

 

Made a 5# batch this weekend but pretty much tasteless....Below is what I used but divided all ingredients in half because I only made a 5 # batch.

post #7 of 13
Where did you get the 10# recipe? I'm curious because we did our first try at sausage a couple of weeks ago. It was for 20# of Hot Italian so we divided by 4 for a 5# batch and after a test pattie we had to add more of everything!!
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayhot View Post

This was the first line of my original thread..........

Made a 5# batch this weekend but pretty much tasteless....Below is what I used but divided all ingredients in half because I only made a 5 # batch.

Did you mix all the dry ingredients together then divide in half? Or did you measure each into separate containers? If you did the first method there's no way to tell if you got enough or too much cure into what you made.
post #9 of 13

The post reads, to me, like Stayhot just measured enough for 5#'s of sausage. What's unfortunate with recipes like the one used is, how big is a Large Clove of Garlic? Another reason to use recipes that measure by weight...JJ

 

Large Clove...This?...

 

Image result for clove of garlic

 

Or this?...

 

Image result for clove of garlic 

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

The post reads, to me, like Stayhot just measured enough for 5#'s of sausage. What's unfortunate with recipes like the one used is, how big is a Large Clove of Garlic? Another reason to use recipes that measure by weight...JJ

 

Large Clove...This?...

 

Image result for clove of garlic

 

Or this?...

 

Image result for clove of garlic 

 

And here is where things get confusing. If I was to read just his ingredient list, and not the text above, or as was the case when I first read it (I missed the part where he halved the recipe) I can only assume that he used 2 tsp of cure for the 5#. I only bring this up as people interpret things differently and that is why when posting recipes online we need to be as accurate as possible with them when specifying specific amounts.

 

I fully agree that weighing ingredients is the best method for recreating refined recipes.

post #11 of 13

Case, Please don't misunderstand, I meant no offense. I was not being critical of your comment. I see your point. If the posted recipe does not match the actual recipe used, a casual reader could make a mistake. This type of thing happens a lot and the reason we make such a big deal about learning the ins and outs of Curing before attempting an advanced technique. With all respect.:77:...JJ 

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

The post reads, to me, like Stayhot just measured enough for 5#'s of sausage. What's unfortunate with recipes like the one used is, how big is a Large Clove of Garlic? Another reason to use recipes that measure by weight...JJ

 

Large Clove...This?...

 

Image result for clove of garlic

 

Or this?...

 

Image result for clove of garlic 

Is that some GMO garlic? I have seen large cloves but nothing like that! 

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

The post reads, to me, like Stayhot just measured enough for 5#'s of sausage. What's unfortunate with recipes like the one used is, how big is a Large Clove of Garlic? Another reason to use recipes that measure by weight...JJ

Large Clove...This?...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTu6ijgh3iKtLkGCwOJTekU2rp7oKifKHxbRfvY7KjwV6RlVbbuBQ

Or this?...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-ck_OInliUg5AInHjnfOeUg57Gb8-knm-tUG1JCPgG8xU_g-4tQ 

Ha! I see what you did there! One of those cloves will be much more pungent than the other... Love elephant garlic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Made Kielbasa --need HELP or ADVICE