or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Update.... First try at Venison Pastrami. Score....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Update.... First try at Venison Pastrami. Score.... - Page 2

post #21 of 24
Tasty looking pastrami! For venison we have always taken it to a lower temp then steam finished it. It just doesn't have the fat like beef brisket does. When you reheat the sliced vac packed meat do it in the sealed bag using the boiling water method.

POINTS!!!!
post #22 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Tasty looking pastrami! For venison we have always taken it to a lower temp then steam finished it. It just doesn't have the fat like beef brisket does. When you reheat the sliced vac packed meat do it in the sealed bag using the boiling water method.

POINTS!!!!

Thanks for the point, dirt.

What temp do you take yours to? I was thinking beef, and I pulled it @ 165*. Then steamed to 201*. After it cooled, it became quite dry.
I haven't tried any that i vac sealed yet.
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post

Thanks for the point, dirt.

What temp do you take yours to? I was thinking beef, and I pulled it @ 165*. Then steamed to 201*. After it cooled, it became quite dry.
I haven't tried any that i vac sealed yet.

125-130, then steam to 150-160. Top wit kraut, ground mustard, on good marbled rye, oh yeah!

Your vac packed stuff if reheated in the bag won't be dry.
post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

125-130, then steam to 150-160. Top wit kraut, ground mustard, on good marbled rye, oh yeah!

Your vac packed stuff if reheated in the bag won't be dry.

Thanks dirt. I wasn't thinking when I treated it like a beef brisket. The next batch will definitely be better at the lower temps..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Wild Game
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Update.... First try at Venison Pastrami. Score....