Let me first say that this is my first post and I am new to smoking. I purchased my CampChef 24" about 4 months ago and have used it several times, but I have a few questions based on my experience (or lack of) thus far. They are as follows:
- I can only seem to get about 1 hour of smoke from chips/chunks at roughly 220 degrees. Doesn't matter if I am soaking them or covering them in foil. I do know that the foil (with holes) seems to help me with flair ups. I had one flair up that lasted for a few min and my smoker now smells burnt. I asked CampChef and they said it was fine and not to worry about it. Anyways, how long should I expect smoke from the wood. I tried a brisket and I was literally opening the door every hour to add chips but my temp would drop. Should I get a larger pan for the chips? Is this normal?
- Can someone tell me how I should set the vents on the sides and top? At least a starting point and some suggestions on use. Right now I have the top and side completely open and one side one closed (as far as the tab will allow).
- On the vents, do you bend the tab in to allow for the vent to completely close?
- The temp adjustment knob seems EXTREMELY sensitive. If I want to make a 20 degree change, I have to bump it with my finger lightly a few times to adjust. I don't even feel the know move but I can see it changing on my iGrill thermometer. Is this normal? Should I be using the vents to adjust my temp?
- Is some smoke from the door sides and around the door thermometer ok? I read online that some people say it's fine and then others are sealing them with gaskets or silicone. Any thoughts on this?
I really appreciate input on these questions. As I said, this is my first smoker and I am loving it. After a LOT of research, I picked the CampChef and it seems to be a great smoker so far. I have already learned a lot from the Smoking Meat Forums so thank you everyone for that. Have a great day and happy smoking!!