Let me first say that this is my first post and I am new to smoking. I purchased my CampChef 24" about 4 months ago and have used it several times, but I have a few questions based on my experience (or lack of) thus far. They are as follows:
1. I can only seem to get about 1 hour of smoke from chips/chunks at roughly 220 degrees. Doesn't matter if I am soaking them or covering them in foil. I do know that the foil (with holes) seems to help me with flair ups. I had one flair up that lasted for a few min and my smoker now smells burnt. I asked CampChef and they said it was fine and not to worry about it. Anyways, how long should I expect smoke from the wood. I tried a brisket and I was literally opening the door every hour to add chips but my temp would drop. Should I get a larger pan for the chips? Is this normal?
2. Can someone tell me how I should set the vents on the sides and top? At least a starting point and some suggestions on use. Right now I have the top and side completely open and one side one closed (as far as the tab will allow).
3. On the vents, do you bend the tab in to allow for the vent to completely close?
4. The temp adjustment knob seems EXTREMELY sensitive. If I want to make a 20 degree change, I have to bump it with my finger lightly a few times to adjust. I don't even feel the know move but I can see it changing on my iGrill thermometer. Is this normal? Should I be using the vents to adjust my temp?
5. Is some smoke from the door sides and around the door thermometer ok? I read online that some people say it's fine and then others are sealing them with gaskets or silicone. Any thoughts on this?
I really appreciate input on these questions. As I said, this is my first smoker and I am loving it. After a LOT of research, I picked the CampChef and it seems to be a great smoker so far. I have already learned a lot from the Smoking Meat Forums so thank you everyone for that. Have a great day and happy smoking!!