or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Recipes Only › Side Items › Foolproof hash browns
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Foolproof hash browns - Page 2

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

Bear I get these at Wallmart going to try some tomorrow morning

 

Richie

 

Thanks Richie!!

Be looking for those or similar!!

 

Good Tip,

 

Bear

post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoPZ View Post
 

Thanks Richie, and yes, sometimes onions, and even shredded meats like corned beef mixed in with the shredded potato.  I like runny yolk eggs, and the browns topped with one is spectacular!

Had to do these today so again Thanks for sharing

Richie

post #23 of 37
Thread Starter 

Looks great Richie, and I'm glad that you found the technique useful!

 

On a separate note, my missus insisted that I try another George Foreman experiment last night (she loves hash browns).  This time I tossed about 1-2 tablespoons olive oil with the raw but rehydrated/drained shreds.  Into the George they went, but this time with the audible sizzle of oil.  When she tasted them, she said they were as good as when cooked on the flat iron. Now I can do her hash browns the easy way without the spatter. :biggrin:

post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoPZ View Post
 

Looks great Richie, and I'm glad that you found the technique useful!

 

On a separate note, my missus insisted that I try another George Foreman experiment last night (she loves hash browns).  This time I tossed about 1-2 tablespoons olive oil with the raw but rehydrated/drained shreds.  Into the George they went, but this time with the audible sizzle of oil.  When she tasted them, she said they were as good as when cooked on the flat iron. Now I can do her hash browns the easy way without the spatter. :biggrin:

Hey I gave a drizzle of Vegie oil on the bottom, the tatters were mixed with dehydrated onions.I gave a lite drizzle to the top before closing the lid.

Richie

post #25 of 37
Thread Starter 

Dang, never thought of using dehydrated onions - perfect complement to the dehydrated potatoes - will definitely give that a go next time. Thumbs Up

 

Sometimes (probably more than sometimes) I miss the obvious :biggrin:

post #26 of 37

IdahoPZ, Thanks Again for the idea,  I was just telling the wife about your idea and how we should pull out Old George and give it a try.  I was thinking of a few slices of Bears Double Smoked Ham on the bottom and then my potatoes and a few smoked red bell peppers on top.     Your idea would be handy when up hunting or when I want a little snack.      Or......   even now.  Potatoes with a little smoked garlic powder on them.   Gott'a stop looking at this forum until I drop 25 more pounds...   :-(

post #27 of 37
Thread Starter 

lol, I know what you mean Old Bones - there are so many good ideas on this forum that I feel like a horse being restrained at the starting line - ready to race to the finish - a perfect meal

post #28 of 37
Great idea ! icon14.gif
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoPZ View Post
 

Dang, never thought of using dehydrated onions - perfect complement to the dehydrated potatoes - will definitely give that a go next time. Thumbs Up

 

Sometimes (probably more than sometimes) I miss the obvious :biggrin:

Thanks IPZ when I asked about the onions I was thinking the dried,didn't think to say that.LOL Thanks for the point appreciate it

Richie

post #30 of 37
Thread Starter 

Here's a funny one - I was outside doing concrete work and my wife called me in for a snack (almost never happens) - she had fixed me a plate of George Foreman hash browns topped with an egg!

 

In all our years of marriage, she has never before fixed me hash browns

post #31 of 37
Those dehydrated potatos fed a lot of troops of our boy scouts over the years. Hot water works fairly
fast, but if you cover them in cold water at bedtime, they will be completely rehydrated and ready to cook in the morning, no waiting. Our favotite way to eat them is fried in bacon fat. I‘d bet that would work brushed on a waffle iron, too.
Then smother them in sausage gravy.......ummmm.
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoPZ View Post
 

Here's a funny one - I was outside doing concrete work and my wife called me in for a snack (almost never happens) - she had fixed me a plate of George Foreman hash browns topped with an egg!

 

In all our years of marriage, she has never before fixed me hash browns


Sounds like you're becoming a bad influence on your wife, like so many of us are!!:biggrin:

 

 

Bear

post #33 of 37
Thread Starter 

lol, Bear - probably never would have happened at all had I not been given the ideas on the forum - she might regret me joining :biggrin:

post #34 of 37


Bugger me PZ you've got us all fired up now.

As a wee nipper, living in the west and from a pretty poor family, we had tater fritters (Hash Browns) on a regular basis mainly because they were cheap to make and filled ya up pretty quick.

We also had another quick and easy meal that was quite popular and now I'm thinking I can combine both into one and come up with something new and hopefully tasty.

Once I've done the lab tests as well as the field tests I'll toss up a full report.

 

Thanks

 

Cheers from Down Under

post #35 of 37
Thread Starter 

Looking forward to your experiment and report Pilch!

post #36 of 37

Well PZ I have finally got back with my report on the experiment.

I did a Q view on it but at this time I won't post it due to things not going the way I saw in my minds eye.

As stated we, as kids, had a cheap meal and in Australia they were called jaffles. You may have the same thing in the states under another name but the concept is a cast iron cooker similar to a waffle iron but smaller and was placed directly into the coals of the camp fire. Two pieces of bread were place, one each side with the buttered side facing outwards, the filling was placed on one side and then closed up and placed into the coals. it took only a couple of minutes to cook and we, as kids, just went crazy over them as you could have anything inside.

I did the experiment with the Hash Brown mix with other fillers but found the Hash Brown to be too moist. I still think there is something here to further experiment with and will do so once I put some spare time together.

 

Cheers from Down Under

post #37 of 37
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the update Pilch - experimentation is the key to success when trying new methods on familiar old cooks.  Best of luck Thumbs Up

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Side Items
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Recipes Only › Side Items › Foolproof hash browns