or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Peppers › Anyone making pepper jelly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone making pepper jelly?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

My favorite is made with datil peppers and served over cream cheese with a cracker.  Recently made a batch out of deveined and deseeded scorpion peppers.  It was really good flavor wise, but still a little on the hot side for most of my taste testers.

 

I have a tremendous bush of ghosts growing (already picked about 3 lbs of pepper off of it) but haven't tried any for jelly.

 

First year growing the reaper.  Not sure anyone but me would eat it.

 

How about you?

post #2 of 11

My boss's boss used to make Jalapeno Pepper Jelly every year to give as Christmas gifts at the company party.  I would use the jelly on pork loins and tenderloins.  It was SOOOOOO good!  We haven't had a party in several years, or I wasn't able to attend for various reasons, and this thread just made me realize how much I miss that jelly.  I'm not interested in Scorpion or Ghost Pepper Jelly, but it would be interesting to see your recipe if you don't mind sharing. 

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

I use a pretty common recipe.  It's pretty simple as well:

 

Pepper Jelly

1 large bell pepper

¼ cup hot peppers (depends)

6 cups sugar

1 ½ cup cider vinegar

2 drops food coloring (optional)

1 6oz pouch of liquid pectin


 

I use a colored bell pepper to match the pepper – red with ghost peppers, yellow with datil, green with jalapeno, etc. I use 25-30 datils with the seeds and veins removed. 3-4 ghosts/scorpions/reapers seeded and deveined. The food coloring is only if you want to adjust the color.

Liquify bell pepper and hot peppers in blender with ½ cup of vinegar. Combine sugar, remaining vinegar, and pepper mixture in a saucepan. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Add pectin and food coloring. Boil for 1 minute and then remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes until the impurities form on the top. Skim that off and discard. Pour into jars, seal, invert for a couple minutes and then stand upright until they pop.


 

Makes 5-6 half pints

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
 

My favorite is made with datil peppers and served over cream cheese with a cracker.  Recently made a batch out of deveined and deseeded scorpion peppers.  It was really good flavor wise, but still a little on the hot side for most of my taste testers.

 

I have a tremendous bush of ghosts growing (already picked about 3 lbs of pepper off of it) but haven't tried any for jelly.

 

First year growing the reaper.  Not sure anyone but me would eat it.

 

How about you?

 

You bet! I'll try that ghost jelly, sounds good.

 

Lets see some pics of the Jelly and the ghosts!

post #5 of 11

I like HOT but I have to bow out once the chiles go over 500,000 Scoville! Simmering the Chiles in water with a couple of changes will help calm the heat and allow the fruity flavor to shine. I know that is Wimping Out but Reaper's are just too much for me...JJ:th_violent5:

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheelerdog View Post
 

 

You bet! I'll try that ghost jelly, sounds good.

 

Lets see some pics of the Jelly and the ghosts!

I have a pretty large plant of each type this year - ghost, scorpion, reaper - the ghost is biggest one I've grown.  I'll take some pics when they are full of pepper as right now they are just tons of blooms and little sets.  Had a big harvest of ghosts and scorpions in early October.  Hoping that the cold weather holds off another 4-5 weeks so they can ripen.  If so, there will be more pepper than I can give away!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

I like HOT but I have to bow out once the chiles go over 500,000 Scoville! Simmering the Chiles in water with a couple of changes will help calm the heat and allow the fruity flavor to shine. I know that is Wimping Out but Reaper's are just too much for me...JJ:th_violent5:

I can't do the true Pepper Head thing and devour the whole pepper, nor do I want to from the videos I've seen of those who do.  I only eat small 1/2" x 1/2" pieces of the flesh or put them in a recipe.  They make killer salsa!  The super hots are so hot that I really can't tell much of difference heatwise between them.  Sort like being burnt at 2000 degrees vs 2500 degrees.

 

The wife doesn't let me cook my sauces down inside the house anymore......

post #7 of 11

Been wanting some red pepper jelly for some time now and Ms. Duke is doing some canning this weekend, so I'm sneaking this one into her recipe cards.. lurk.gif

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 

In addition to hot peppers, I also grow my own colored bell peppers to go along with them.  The red, yellows, and oranges are too expensive to buy in the store.

 

Anyway, I switched my fertilizer this year to Texas Tomato Food and epsom salt - swapping one each week.  My plants have gone nuts!  I had a yellow bell that I bought Memorial Day weekend that sat and sulked all summer giving me only three ripe peppers in September.  Come October I changed my fertilizer and there are 20+ set peppers on a bush that ain't knee high!  It's probably too late this year to get many of those to mature, but I'm excited about next year.

 

I also started to use Master Blend through my self-wicking bucket system this fall.  The lettuce, greens, broccoli, and cabbage are doing really well.  It is a synthetic hydroponic fertilizer, but seems to be working great in my sort of soil-less buckets.

post #9 of 11

I use all fresh  scrapped and seeded  jalapenos in my jelly 3lbs per batch. no bells and no hots.  great flavor and almost no heat.

I tried to freeze in 3 lb bags for future use and the ice in the peppers made the batch runny. Not a bad thing as i use it for glaze on hams and pork roast..

post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 

 

Trinidad Scorpion pepper doing well.

 

 

Ghost peppers two months ago.........

 

 

Ghost pepper today.  Not sure what is going on yet, but all the larger, older leaves fell off and so did many small peppers.  New leaves coming out though.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
 

I use all fresh  scrapped and seeded  jalapenos in my jelly 3lbs per batch. no bells and no hots.  great flavor and almost no heat.

I tried to freeze in 3 lb bags for future use and the ice in the peppers made the batch runny. Not a bad thing as i use it for glaze on hams and pork roast..


I used some melted datil pepper jelly on some fried chicken wings instead of wing sauce a week or so ago.  Different but good.  I need to branch out and try it on more things like you did.

 

The wife loves the jelly but I haven't been able to get her to agree to letting me glaze ribs with it yet.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Peppers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Peppers › Anyone making pepper jelly?