or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › Cheapest Masterbuilt electric smoker
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheapest Masterbuilt electric smoker

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I've always used a charcoal smoker with great success. but recently I bought the cheapest Masterbuilt Electric. So far I've ruined a beautiful Brisket, several lbs of Salmon filets and Ribs that were edible, but had no "bark" on them.  Ive checked the heat with a remote thermometer and found it will not hold at 225*. It ranges from 198* to 240* .At that range it will not make smoke. I even made a foil pack of chips and laid it directly on the element. When I try to regulate the heat upwards, it gets way too hot. any advice here would be greatly appreciated

post #2 of 8
.
Edited by Smokin Phil - 7/25/16 at 1:17pm
post #3 of 8

Yep...The A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoke Generators were designed specifically to work in the MES and other units. You need to be more specific about the MES you have. In some models the AMNPS Maze works best in other models the AMNTS Tube does the trick. Have a look at Todd's site and give him a call with questions. Great guy and super knowledgeable...JJ

 

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 

I PICKED UP A PILE OF LEFTOVER BOARDS, AND ABOUT 20 CEMENT BLOCKS FOR FREE. I THEN GOT A SHEET OF CORRUGATED STEEL (HAD TO PAY FOR THAT), I AM READY TO BUILD A SMOKE HOUSE. I'VE LOOKED AT SOME IMPRESSIVE BUILDS ON THIS SITE, BUT I'D REALLY LIKE TO SEE MORE HOME-MADES. I'D REALLY  APPRECIATE SOME PICTURES FROM ALL YOU FINE FOLKS. THANKS

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointerdog View Post

I PICKED UP A PILE OF LEFTOVER BOARDS, AND ABOUT 20 CEMENT BLOCKS FOR FREE. I THEN GOT A SHEET OF CORRUGATED STEEL (HAD TO PAY FOR THAT), I AM READY TO BUILD A SMOKE HOUSE. I'VE LOOKED AT SOME IMPRESSIVE BUILDS ON THIS SITE, BUT I'D REALLY LIKE TO SEE MORE HOME-MADES. I'D REALLY  APPRECIATE SOME PICTURES FROM ALL YOU FINE FOLKS. THANKS

Lots of what you want, right here... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/197/smoker-builds
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointerdog View Post
 

I've always used a charcoal smoker with great success. but recently I bought the cheapest Masterbuilt Electric. So far I've ruined a beautiful Brisket, several lbs of Salmon filets and Ribs that were edible, but had no "bark" on them.  Ive checked the heat with a remote thermometer and found it will not hold at 225*. It ranges from 198* to 240* .At that range it will not make smoke. I even made a foil pack of chips and laid it directly on the element. When I try to regulate the heat upwards, it gets way too hot. any advice here would be greatly appreciated


Did you buy an analog model with the leg stands, the round therm on the door and that coiled handle in front? Those are cheaper than the electric digital models and do not operate the same way. If you bought a MES 30 Generation 1 digital smoker than many of us can help you troubleshoot.

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 

THE ONE YOU DESCRIBED IS THE ONE I'VE GOT. ITS REALLY A BIG LET DOWN. I'M LAYING OUT PLANS TO BUILD A SMOKE HOUSE THAT WILL CONVERT TO ANY HEAT/SMOKE SOURCE.  I'LL POST PICS AS I GO ALONG.

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointerdog View Post
 

THE ONE YOU DESCRIBED IS THE ONE I'VE GOT. ITS REALLY A BIG LET DOWN. I'M LAYING OUT PLANS TO BUILD A SMOKE HOUSE THAT WILL CONVERT TO ANY HEAT/SMOKE SOURCE.  I'LL POST PICS AS I GO ALONG.


Yeah, the digital MES is by far more popular than the analog. Much easier to work with. It'll be cool to see those pics.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › Cheapest Masterbuilt electric smoker