or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › A Standard Which all Should Be Judged By
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Standard Which all Should Be Judged By

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

The Disney Park Smoked Turkey Leg. 

Perfection in mass production. Wish I could do them as well!

 


How do they do it????

b

post #2 of 17

Never had one. What is special about it? A certain spice profile? Is it salty or sweet? There are quite few posts here, do a search. I understand these are good...JJ

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/120696/disney-fair-legs-my-way

post #3 of 17

Love turkey legs. When we have our state fair i always have to get one. Have heard the Disney ones are really good.

post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

Never had one. What is special about it? A certain spice profile? Is it salty or sweet? There are quite few posts here, do a search. I understand these are good...JJ

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/120696/disney-fair-legs-my-way


Great questions. Jim;

First of all they are huge;  Twice the size of what you typically see at the market.

They have a salty sweet profile.  Not too salty with just the right amount of cure. 

Thanks for the link to the post.  I have one of my own here someplace! 

b

post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMLong88 View Post
 

Love turkey legs. When we have our state fair i always have to get one. Have heard the Disney ones are really good.


Absolutely the best. 

post #6 of 17

I googled the recipe and there are many interpretations, Cure Brined and rubbed with garlic, onion, sage. Not having them, I would think they are kept pretty simple, most cost effective. Understanding commercially produced poultry products, managed a grocery Deli that sold ready to eat Chester Fried Chicken, KFC info and others. I would bet Dollars to Donuts that the Cure Brine containes a common ingredient that is never published...MSG. I am thinking without MSG you may get close but the Turkey Legs will never be the same. Try it...JJ

post #7 of 17

I have some HUGE turkey drums in brine right now, I hope to come close to the Disney version. I will post my results once I get them smoking this week.

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 

I found my post.  These were good.  But not as good and the Disney P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

I googled the recipe and there are many interpretations, Cure Brined and rubbed with garlic, onion, sage. Not having them, I would think they are kept pretty simple, most cost effective. Understanding commercially produced poultry products, managed a grocery Deli that sold ready to eat Chester Fried Chicken, KFC info and others. I would bet Dollars to Donuts that the Cure Brine containes a common ingredient that is never published...MSG. I am thinking without MSG you may get close but the Turkey Legs will never be the same. Try it...JJ


Thanks Jim.  I live in a MSG free zone!  I apreciate your investigation! 

Brian

post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post
 

I have some HUGE turkey drums in brine right now, I hope to come close to the Disney version. I will post my results once I get them smoking this week.


Let see them!!! b

post #10 of 17
Have you tried this recipe:

http://disneyirl.com/2013/turkey-legs-disneyland-copy-cat-recipe/
post #11 of 17
Nice , Brian ! !! drool.gif Turkey Legs are great ! I'm thinking , instead of a whole bird , this year , I'll do Legs and Breast . No use wasting a good

carcass . . . ROTF.gif

Good cheer my friend ! Anxious to see the (T-day meal) .

Stan
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolbbq View Post

Nice , Brian ! !! drool.gif Turkey Legs are great ! I'm thinking , instead of a whole bird , this year , I'll do Legs and Breast . No use wasting a good

carcass . . . ROTF.gif

Good cheer my friend ! Anxious to see the (T-day meal) .

Stan


Howdy Stan!  Great hearing from you.  I was actually thinking of posting a Pre Holiday Step By Setup on a  gobbler! So a Q view may be soon! b

post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Have you tried this recipe:

http://disneyirl.com/2013/turkey-legs-disneyland-copy-cat-recipe/


Thanks Case!

I see the recipe calls for tenderizer and liquid smoke.  LS is not allowed in the house!  LOL. I'm sure a good hardwood will make a fine substitution!

Thanks again my friend

b

post #14 of 17

well, spent all night in the ER with my daughter who now has pneumonia. that and a colicky baby at home means not only no work, but also no free time to do some good smoking. barely have enough time to go get my boat hauled out for the winter tomorrow. so, in any case, the drums are going to spend a couple extra days in the brine before I can get to them.

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSkelly View Post


Thanks Case!
I see the recipe calls for tenderizer and liquid smoke.  LS is not allowed in the house!  LOL. I'm sure a good hardwood will make a fine substitution!
Thanks again my friend
b

I was told by another friend from the Anehiem area that those two ingredients are the secret.

I don't allow LS on my street, let alone my house!
post #16 of 17

Liquid Smoke is no different than Garlic Powder. Does the Real Deal taste better? Sure! But each has it's use. I add LS or Smoke Powder to BBQ Sauce. This way the kids can add it on anything that is not smoked but still want the smokey flavor...JJ

post #17 of 17
Sorry to hear that iceman. Hope your daughter feels better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › A Standard Which all Should Be Judged By