I have been making regular summer sausage for a while now but everyone keeps asking me to make a garlic summer. Looking for advice on how much garlic to add and whther to add garlic powder or fresh???? Thanks!!
Summer sausage w/Garlic
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
My personal opinion is to use GRANULATED garlic and not powdered or fresh. That's what I use. How much? Geez...that's kind of subjective. Let's start with how big of a batch and how much garlic (gran/powdered/fresh) are you using?
I take it back!
My last batch was 10 lbs. Here's the recipe for the mix:
For 10 lbs. of ground beef, add:
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbls Morton’s Tender Quick cure
- 10 tsp (or 3 Tbls and 1 tsp) granulated garlic
- 10 tsp (or 3 Tbls and 1 tsp) cracked black pepper
- 3 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 oz dried buttermilk
- 2 Tbls whole mustard seed
- 1 Tbls whole peppercorns
- 1 cup cold water (hold the water if you don’t use casings)
You could try adding an extra tablespoon or two of garlic. Maybe double it if you really want more garlic flavor. Personally, I'd also try to balance the other flavors by adding some additional CBP and whole mustard seed. Maybe a little granulated onion, too.
- 5,608 Posts. Joined 11/2011
- Location: N. Central Idaho
- Points: 471
- Select All Posts By This User
Stayhot, I have had great results with these guys seasonings, never had a bad batch yet,,,,
Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
A full smoker is a happy smoker