Originally Posted by DaveOmak
Here is the incandescent Dimmer Switch I used.... 1500 watt.... been in use for over 4 years...
Thank you Dave. Can you elaborate on what you all needed for this and what electric element/smoker you use this with? Thanks
Originally Posted by RadioGuy
Dave has it covered. Cheap reliable. I have an electric with a "frypan" adjustable control. It needs constant attention. Will replace it with a PID when it burns out. Let your buddy know this, maybe he'll want to spend the $$ for a PID.
RG, can you elaborate on your setup? I am assuming your "electric with a "frypan" adjustable control" is similar to the 2 I posted above?
What I am looking for is either: A) add a way to control the stock 1500 watt element in my E-ECB, or B) replace the stock element with one that already has some sort of control.
I want this to be fairly simple to assemble and set up, and I would like it to be fairly inexpensive.
These are the options I have heard of or come up with:
1) PID - build one with help, or buy a plug and play - more money than I really want to spend - best results?
2) Analog dial control that this thread started about(Punter, sorry for hijacking) - not sure how to set it up - cost? - results?
3) Dial dimmer switch - not sure how to set it up - cost? - results?
4) Adjustable replacement element - simple replacement - $30 to $40 - results?
5) Give up on control and just use E-ECB as is - no work - no money - good Q
6) Someday....get a nice electric smoker that doesn't really need mods.
Thank you all for the help and advice. Link to my thread so I can stop hijacking this one!
Sorry again Punter!!! If the PID wins out, but I don't think it will I will be back for your help!
What temperature range is everyone able to achieve with their different setups? Please list control unit, electric element/smoker, and temps for comparison. Thank you!!