or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Dutch Oven Cooking › Dutch Oven Recipes › Hurry Up Chick'n Noodle Soup DO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hurry Up Chick'n Noodle Soup DO

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Still warm in the desert, but we went up to the mountains for a drizzly weekend at Big Bear Oktoberfest. This morning my wife woke up with the seasons first cold (not a hangover). When we got home I need to make her comfort food and take care of a young one so I made this pretty decent and fast chicken noodle soup.
Ingredients:
White Onion
Fresh Garlic
Fresh Celery
" Carrot
" Green pepper
" parsley
" thyme ( I used dry this time because I was out of fresh)
Unsalted butter
Chicken stock
Water
Dry spaghetti (part 1 of "Hurry Up")
Grocery store bought rotisserie chicken(this is how the "hurry up" really happens!)

Dice up the fresh stuff ( or chop, your call)


Melt the butter in the DO

Start with onion until translucent

Then garlic for fragrance


Add the other fresh stuff and let it all mingle and cook


Add chicken stock, and hot fresh water, bring to boil reduce immediate to simmer.


While that simmers pull and chop up the "short cut" rotisserie meat. I've done this where I heated rotisserie meat with onion and garlic first before adding stock too. Make sure to use dark and white meat! I do like cooking my own chicken before all this in DO and saving stock for soup, but life happens!



Throw Meat in with parsley and thyme, cover and simmer for 30 min. Chop up dry spaghetti into size of noodles you want in soup and drop in with 10 min left. If it is real emergency "hurry up" drop dry spaghetti in with stock and water then after meat is stirred in you can serve immediately. At any rate, less than an hour for "from scratch" chicken noodle soup makes sick wife happier and, possibly more important, picky toddler too!


Salt, pepper to taste. My wife and daughter like Tony Chachere's creole seasoning!


Like always the longer it simmers the better!


Good luck!
post #2 of 13

Nice post! Might I suggest one more step, no more time and lots more flavor? Pick the meat First. Wrap the bones in a layer or two of Cheese Cloth (from gocery store) and add the bones with the liquid. Over the simmer time LOTS more flavor will come out! Pull the bones package and toss the whole thing before adding the noodles. I promise the family will swear Grandma made it...:biggrin:...JJ

post #3 of 13

Its getting to be that time of year, soup season, not sicko season. Always a tasty soup! We like to use rice noodles & I do what JJ suggested just not wrapped in the cheese cloth.

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

Nice post! Might I suggest one more step, no more time and lots more flavor? Pick the meat First. Wrap the bones in a layer or two of Cheese Cloth (from gocery store) and add the bones with the liquid. Over the simmer time LOTS more flavor will come out! Pull the bones package and toss the whole thing before adding the noodles. I promise the family will swear Grandma made it...biggrin.gif ...JJ

Thank you JJ! Brilliant!
post #5 of 13

You're welcome. I use the Cheese Cloth with rotis chix because the cooked bones will fall apart real fast and you don't want folks choking or having to pick the little pieces out...JJ

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Absolutely. I like boiling bones when I have time, my wife hates dealing with picking them out or waiting for me to. I Can't believe I never thought/did this. Thank you again.
post #7 of 13

That's a pretty cured DO! Supper looks good!

 

Ya know, had ya just thrown in some flour with that butter, you'd  had a gumbo.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Its getting to be that time of year, soup season, not sicko season. Always a tasty soup! We like to use rice noodles & I do what JJ suggested just not wrapped in the cheese cloth.

Thank you Dirtsailor. I don't normally use spaghetti, but I had to go with what I had! I will definitely try the rice noodles next go around! I haven't tried those yet. Thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post

That's a pretty cured DO! Supper looks good!

Ya know, had ya just thrown in some flour with that butter, you'd  had a gumbo.

Thank you Foam! It came out better than my jambalaya! Maybe I'll practice with rice separate and do this for gumbo until I get rice figured out. Then dive back into jambalaya! Can you recommend a flour substitute? It's a family frustration, but the wife can't do wheat. Makes a lot of baking/cooking more difficult and my better half miserable! Anyway my family and I were happy with the taste so it was a win in my book! Any time I get my toddler to eat something that isn't processed is a small victory! BTW Your pies looked brilliant once again!
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauchjw View Post

Thank you Foam! It came out better than my jambalaya! Maybe I'll practice with rice separate and do this for gumbo until I get rice figured out. Then dive back into jambalaya! Can you recommend a flour substitute? It's a family frustration, but the wife can't do wheat. Makes a lot of baking/cooking more difficult and my better half miserable! Anyway my family and I were happy with the taste so it was a win in my book! Any time I get my toddler to eat something that isn't processed is a small victory! BTW Your pies looked brilliant once again!

 

Funny you should ask..... actually........ LOL we don't grow wheat in Louisiana. I could give you the long readers digest version but, you can use okra! Coonazz's are very versatile and quickly learn to live and prosper off any land. They did in Nova Scotia, clearing and building up a colony. They did it so well and wouldn't give any taxes to the man soooo they shipped 'em down to Louisiana and stole their establish community or so it is told.

 

Adaptable? They learned to use tree bark for coffee when the river was blockaded (chicory), they learned to make sassafras (file) for wheat for the same reason. But when the slave ships appeared and the okra showed up (another long winded speculation) they learned how to use okra to thicken the gumbo. Today we still make okra into gumbos, and its usually refered to as a creole gumbo using tomatoes and okra. Creole is the black/Spanish influence in Cajun cooking. When you saute the onions, saute the okra with the onions. It removes most of the slime. It will slightly thicken the gumbo and its a wonderful flavor. I love a shrimp and okra gumbo, but the proper name would of course be a creole gumbo. A shrimp and red fish creole is so awesome! Throw in a buttered biscuit and it is like a Saturday night fais-do-do. Bring out those pretty girls and dance all night.

 

Ask and ye shall receive! You just have to listen to the stories.....LOL Aren't you glad I did the readers digest version? ROFLMAO!

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post

Funny you should ask..... actually........ LOL we don't grow wheat in Louisiana. I could give you the long readers digest version but, you can use okra! Coonazz's are very versatile and quickly learn to live and prosper off any land. They did in Nova Scotia, clearing and building up a colony. They did it so well and wouldn't give any taxes to the man soooo they shipped 'em down to Louisiana and stole their establish community or so it is told.

Adaptable? They learned to use tree bark for coffee when the river was blockaded (chicory), they learned to make sassafras (file) for wheat for the same reason. But when the slave ships appeared and the okra showed up (another long winded speculation) they learned how to use okra to thicken the gumbo. Today we still make okra into gumbos, and its usually refered to as a creole gumbo using tomatoes and okra. Creole is the black/Spanish influence in Cajun cooking. When you saute the onions, saute the okra with the onions. It removes most of the slime. It will slightly thicken the gumbo and its a wonderful flavor. I love a shrimp and okra gumbo, but the proper name would of course be a creole gumbo. A shrimp and red fish creole is so awesome! Throw in a buttered biscuit and it is like a Saturday night fais-do-do. Bring out those pretty girls and dance all night.

Ask and ye shall receive! You just have to listen to the stories.....LOL Aren't you glad I did the readers digest version? ROFLMAO!

Haha! Well worth the read! I may hold off on the chicory coffee for now, but if will get okra and try it out! The desert is no place for seafood, but we get frozen shrimp at grocery store. Best I can do! Thanks Foam!
post #11 of 13

Another option to Okra and Filé is Dark Roux made with Rice Flour...Gluten free and basically the same thickening as Wheat Flour. Make the Roux equal parts Fat and Rice Flour. 1/2 Cup of each will tighten up 4 Cups of Stock...JJ

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

Another option to Okra and Filé is Dark Roux made with Rice Flour...Gluten free and basically the same thickening as Wheat Flour. Make the Roux equal parts Fat and Rice Flour. 1/2 Cup of each will tighten up 4 Cups of Stock...JJ

 

I got to thinking last night Chef, what about corn starch? Its a great thickener and requires less heat right?

 

And as to color, you could use "Kitchen Bouquet" Sauce

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kitchen-Bouquet-Browning-and-Seasoning-Sauce-4-Fluid-Ounces/10448268

post #13 of 13

Foam, Good thought but there are issues. Corn Starch works to thicken but has to be mixed with cool liquid rather than making a roux so no dark color or flavor. The other problem is, folks that make big batches and Freeze. Corn Starch loses it thickening ability when Frozen...JJ

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dutch Oven Recipes
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Dutch Oven Cooking › Dutch Oven Recipes › Hurry Up Chick'n Noodle Soup DO