› Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › New guy looking for information
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New guy looking for information

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 
Hello everybody,
Awesome site you have here! Tons of information.

I live in the Central Valley in California about an hour south of Sacramento. I'm getting ready to start a reverse flow build made from an old horizontal air compressor tank, not sure if I will make a small trailer for it to sit on or just put castor type wheels under it.

I was wondering if the expanded metal that I see lots of guys using for the cooking shelves (or grills) is just standard plain steel? Does it need to be stainless or have some kind of coating on it? It seems like plain steel would rust and flake off on the food.

Thanks in advance for the information and I look forward to sharing my build with you guys
post #2 of 3

Welcome to the site BD.


Most folks use plain steel for cooking racks.  It is unusual to have them rust.  They will get well coated with critter oil as you use them.


Post up pictures of your build.

post #3 of 3
Welcome from SC, Bigdog. This is a great site. I'm glad you found it. My grates are plain steel. As Jack said, they will get a constant coating of oil. Be sure to spray them really good with Pam or some other cooking oil when you season it. After that it's just like a great big frying pan

Good luck and good smokin', Joe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Roll Call › Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › New guy looking for information