Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003
For a temporary fix you could ping the rivet to tighten it up. Since your vent is bent the best solution is to drill it out and replace the vent cover.
Ereplacementparts.com carries replacement Weber parts.
I'm going to take a look later this week. Unfortunately it looks like the damper I need is marked discontinued on those sites, so we'll see. I'll check out eBay too, and I'm still watching for cheap SJ's on craigslist.
As for Sunday's cook, things were looking okay for a while, but temp issues popped up. I'll skip most of the pics, as I know 10 pictures of a temperature gauge aren't exactly thrilling.
At 11:37 am, I noticed that temp dipped to 275, so I opened the vent a bit, to about half open. By 11:49, it was closer to 260, so I went WFO on the intake. At 12:03, it was still 260ish.
At this point I guessed that I was running low on fuel, so I lit additional coals in the chimney and planned to refuel when I added the meat temp probe. Now was not really the time to be a charcoal miser, but I didn't really light enough, partly because I was thinking this cook was going to finish in the oven.
At 12:24 I found this:
After a shake. Yikes!
Added my fresh coals and looked at the shoulder. Not too bad, probe said 172:
I reassembled and kept vents open, but never really recovered my preferred temp for this cook. Only got back to 250 and stayed there, so I preheated the oven to 300. Pork still at 172 at this time.
Pre-foiling, about 1:15 pm:
See the circled areas, not sure why that fat/membrane didn't really render. Next time I do a picnic I'll probably remove all the skin and trim a little more aggressively:
Into the oven at 1:21 pm, hit 203 at 2:13 pm. I opened the foil for a few minutes to probe for tenderness and wiggle bone, buth wee good. Let the excess steam out, resealed, wrapped in a towel, into a cooler.
Removed at 5:22 pm:
Looking pretty good! Bark still pretty crusty, though the bottom was soggy. In the future I'd sit on a rack before foiling.
I went muscle group by muscle group, removing sections and shredding and removing fat. Whipped up a cup of finishing sauce similar to JJ's. Final result:
Nice flavor, decent ring. Cooker issues aside, I was very happy with the results.
As mentioned earlier, the intake vent is clearly a problem. later this week I'll take a look and see what can be done. At the very least, I'll probably be replacing the rivet with a bolt. Crossing my fingers that does the trick, otherwise the hunt for a damper begins. Thanks all!