or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Beef in the fridge...NEED HELP PLEASE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beef in the fridge...NEED HELP PLEASE!

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

So I bought 2 chuck roasts last Friday night with the intention of smoking them Saturday morning.  Well that didn't happen and they have been in the fridge ever since and I forgot about them.  They are still in the wrap from SAMS and the sell by date was the 22nd on the label.  My question....Throw them in the crock pot?  Or will they hold until Saturday morning until I can get them on the barrel (might even be able to do them tomorrow after work)?  Throw em away (highly doubt this one hah)?  They are still fairly red but one is starting to get the light brown tint to it. Any info is much appreciated!

 

Edit** Or throw them in the freezer ASAP?  I read that they will definitely be fine 1-2 days after the sell by but just know about letting it go til Saturday ya know. I just usually don't keep meat longer that 2 days or so because I always buy specific for what I am going to cook at the time.  Thanks!

 

Shelton


Edited by shelton573 - 9/24/15 at 1:19pm
post #2 of 18

You're probably okay for saturday if they're as you describe.  Of course use your own judgement based on experience.  Sticky & smelly would be bad.  

 

"Sell by" dates are largely for the store's stock keeping.

 

See http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2013/09/28/heres-why-the-sell-by-dates-on-your-groceries-are-so-worthless/

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 



Snapped a couple pics now that I am off work. Looks ok to me, I just don't know what it will look like by Saturday.

Shelton
post #4 of 18

i have always gone by the nose test if it dont smell normal dont eat it. honestly i think you could be stretching it a little too far... you could always freeze those now and use them another time but if you wait and the end up going bad you wasted alot of meat.

post #5 of 18

Red like that is fine now, but don't know about Saturday.  Since you already past your planned smoke date, I would cook them now and find something else to smoke over the weekend.  Make stew out of them, make chili out of them, whatever, but cook them soon.

post #6 of 18

I don't follow dates...The Nose Knows...The brown is Oxidation not necessarily spoilage. Freezing gains nothing because it will sit in the refer 2-3 more days when you Defrost again and may definately go bad. I would add a good coating of Rub and let the Salt stave off further bacteria. The seasoning will really penetrate and be fine on Saturday. You can always make Pot Roast, Barbacoa for Tacos or Chili tomorrow...JJ

post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

I don't follow dates...The Nose Knows...The brown is Oxidation not necessarily spoilage. Freezing gains nothing because it will sit in the refer 2-3 more days when you Defrost again and may definately go bad. I would add a good coating of Rub and let the Salt stave off further bacteria. The seasoning will really penetrate and be fine on Saturday. You can always make Pot Roast, Barbacoa for Tacos or Chili tomorrow...JJ

So you think rub it now and let it sit til Saturday morning?

Shelton
post #8 of 18
That's the way I read it... your nose will know come Sat.
post #9 of 18

Yes, If they smell fine today, the Salt and spices in the rub will inhibit bacterial growth and buy some time. I have had Beef Roasts covered in Montreal Steak Seasoning in the refer 7 days with no spoilage...JJ

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post
 

Yes, If they smell fine today, the Salt and spices in the rub will inhibit bacterial growth and buy some time. I have had Beef Roasts covered in Montreal Steak Seasoning in the refer 7 days with no spoilage...JJ

 

Yes, great point; applying a salted rub or an acid marinade would buy some time.  

 

After all, why do you think so many grocery stores offer pre-rubbed meats?  

post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the info folks! I'm gonna open them up this morning and do the smell test. If they smell good, I will rub them down with SPOG and wrap them back up. If I can take off work early today, I might even try to smoke them tonight. With my SPOG I do equal parts on all and usually heavy on the pepper. Will it have enough salt? Thanks again!

Shelton
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Went a different route than SPOG. I ran home quick and pulled them out. They still smelled like fresh beef and were not tacky. I wanted to use a higher salt content rub so I put EVOO on the meat and used big poppa double steak rub. I have used it on ribeyes and also on smoked London broil and tasted great. I think I will try to smoke tonight if I get time. If not it will be early in the morning. Here is one of them rubbed down and ready to be wrapped and rested in the fridge.

I'll report back on how it goes. If you don't hear from me in a week...the meat was bad haha.

Shelton
post #13 of 18

Looking good... we love chuckies at my house

post #14 of 18

HMMMM??? Well I hope everything is OK it's been almost a week. :icon_eek:

 

DS
 

post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post

HMMMM??? Well I hope everything is OK it's been almost a week. icon_eek.gif

DS

 

Hahahah everything worked fine! No one died or even got sick! Depending on how the bow hunting weather is this weekend, I want to try to do a couple more. Here are a couple pics for those that didn't see the other post.



Thanks for your concern DS lol! Have a good one!

Shelton
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
It tasted great by the way!

Shelton
post #17 of 18

Nice, great looking food, and -points for no one getting sick

 

Good luck on the bow hunting, I just got back from My last weekend of it and was busted by a Nice 4x5 bull only 150yrds from camp, cow called and he came in quiet, while there was another bull bugling behind him never was able to get set up on the 2nd bull:th_crybaby2:it was a Great weekend. Thumbs Up

 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

 

DS
 

post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post

Nice, great looking food, and -points for no one getting sick

Good luck on the bow hunting, I just got back from My last weekend of it and was busted by a Nice 4x5 bull only 150yrds from camp, cow called and he came in quiet, while there was another bull bugling behind him never was able to get set up on the 2nd bull:th_crybaby2: it was a Great weekend. icon14.gif

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post

HMMMM??? Well I hope everything is OK it's been almost a week. icon_eek.gif

DS

 

Thank ya sir! I hate that it didn't work out for ya. My season is just starting here (today actually) so I bet I have a long road ahead if it's anything like last year. Good luck on your future hunts!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Beef in the fridge...NEED HELP PLEASE!