or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Catering & Large Group Gatherings › 70 Marines against a Bar-b-chef offset smoker?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

70 Marines against a Bar-b-chef offset smoker? - Page 2

post #21 of 39
Thread Starter 


Ok, last weekends brisket frustrated me and I have less than two weeks until my big smoke. I did plan on pork butt only after messing up, but I don't want to lose to a brisket. . . I also promised everyone brisket and PP. I've internalized everyone's advice and re read other forum threads. So I will be practicing again. Basic rub tonight. Tomorrow I'll take precise notes on how I do this one and I do not have distractions of guests arriving and wanting to eat! I'm feeling confident. I'll post finishing this one and then will hold off until big smoke is starting/complete!
post #22 of 39
Thread Starter 

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/content/type/61/id/424424/width/350/height/700[/IM Didn't look bad, but too salty and I think I know what I did wrong. So, next week is my big smoke. We'll see how it goes.
post #23 of 39
Thread Starter 
Finally got a chance to really do what I started this whole thread for. My worn out pit against 70 Marines. Meal is this Friday after a motivating run. I took advice from everyone and started with 40 pounds of pork shoulder today and will start 50 pounds of brisket tomorrow night around 2100. Pictures follow:

Started prepping late last night. As I said (4) 10 ib pork picnic shoulder, bone in. Also Ingredients for Gary's smoked baked beans, and Jeff's finishing sauce, all from SMF. Thank you.

Prepping Gary's Smoked Baked Beans. I got done prepping the shoulders and beans at 2am.

I grabbed one of my Marines to help haul the smoker early and be fire/ temperature watch

40 pounds of pork shoulder waiting to get steady temp. Everything was on by 0700.
post #24 of 39
Thread Starter 

We kept catching people opening to look at where the amazing smell was coming from.

Posted a sign with little affect. They can't wait until Friday.

So I grabbed the armed compound Duty to make sure nobody else disturbed the process.
post #25 of 39
Thread Starter 

There was a 180 IT stall.

But once over the hump they came out beautiful. I have them resting now. . . Minus a few pieces of bark.
post #26 of 39
Thread Starter 
Finished it up, everyone was happy.



post #27 of 39
Thread Starter 




post #28 of 39
Thread Starter 
Thank you guys for all your help.





post #29 of 39

Looks like you did good to me. Great job, I bet it was all appreciated. Galley food gets old after awhile no matter how good the cooks are.

 

But of course that's Boat chow.

post #30 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post

Looks like you did good to me. Great job, I bet it was all appreciated. Galley food gets old after awhile no matter how good the cooks are.

But of course that's Boat chow.

Thanks for all your help Foam!
post #31 of 39
Great thread, good job on the cook.
Most of all, thank you for your service.
post #32 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDon View Post

Great thread, good job on the cook.
Most of all, thank you for your service.

Thank you PapaDon, I have to say I'm jealous of your new smoker! It would definitely make these wild ideas I get easier to execute!
post #33 of 39
Thank you.
I saved up for a long time to get what I wanted.
Just remember, it's the cook not the cooker that makes good food.
post #34 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDon View Post

Thank you.
I saved up for a long time to get what I wanted.
Just remember, it's the cook not the cooker that makes good food.

I can see you definitely saved! I agree it is the cook, but more space on my smoker would make these bigger events a lot easier to pull off! In the mean time I will save like you did and learn what I can from everyone here to make sure it is put to good use!
post #35 of 39

LOL... I just noticed, it must have been good chow, I see the Lt. has the roll of tin foil by his plate. He's thinking about a go plate!

post #36 of 39
Man o man! Looks like it came out perfect. If I was guaranteed to be stationed near you I'd sign the dotted line!
As I said before thanks for your service brotha! You gotta teach me how to do brisket now!
post #37 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post

LOL... I just noticed, it must have been good chow, I see the Lt. has the roll of tin foil by his plate. He's thinking about a go plate!
He got a second plate, but ate it before the day was over!
post #38 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by larosa94x View Post

Man o man! Looks like it came out perfect. If I was guaranteed to be stationed near you I'd sign the dotted line!
As I said before thanks for your service brotha! You gotta teach me how to do brisket now!
I'd be happy to have yah at my side! But As proud as I am of how this one turned out Foam and all the others on SMF are the ones that got me through it!
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauchjw View Post


He got a second plate, but ate it before the day was over!

 

They learn that in knife and fork school.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Catering & Large Group Gatherings › 70 Marines against a Bar-b-chef offset smoker?