or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brisket

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I plan on picking up a whole packer today to smoke this weekend for a party.  If I want to eat on Sunday at noon, what time should I put the brisket into the smoker set at 225 degrees? 

post #2 of 8

Conventional wisdom is to allow 1.5 hours per pound. Some take more, some take less. Then add at least another 2 hours to let it rest, covered in towels at the bottom of a dry cooler.

post #3 of 8
how big is the brisket? my last one was about 17 lbs and it took 22 hrs with a smoker temp of about 240. put it in @6 in the evening and took it out @4 the next day and let it rest in a cooler for 2hrs internal temp was about 195
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneeley490 View Post
 

Conventional wisdom is to allow 1.5 hours per pound. Some take more, some take less. Then add at least another 2 hours to let it rest, covered in towels at the bottom of a dry cooler.


Is that 1.5 hours wrapped or unwrapped?  

post #5 of 8

Unwrapped, I suppose. Not much point in putting smoke to a wrapped brisket. Wrapping during the stall will speed things up, but not that much. Like I said, an hour and a half is just an average.

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuong View Post
 

I plan on picking up a whole packer today to smoke this weekend for a party.  If I want to eat on Sunday at noon, what time should I put the brisket into the smoker set at 225 degrees? 


Will it be a minimum of 12 pounds? If so, you're looking at a minimum of 18 hours at 225° if we're talking 1.5 hours per pound. You're looking at a finish IT of 195-203°. Remember that a full packer contains the point and you might want to finish that separately if you want to try making burnt ends. You cut the point from the flat and place it back in the smoker unfoiled.BE requires an additional hour or so. BE is then sliced up into bite-sized pieces and mixed with BBQ sauce. You can serve it to your guests while the flat is finishing up. When it's all done you want to keep the brisket flat wrapped in foil and place it in a cooler with either newspapers or a big towel or two over it. Let it rest for at least two hours. It can safely stay in the cooler for hours beyond that. The result will be the best brisket you've ever made in your life.

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daRicksta View Post
 


Will it be a minimum of 12 pounds? If so, you're looking at a minimum of 18 hours at 225° if we're talking 1.5 hours per pound. You're looking at a finish IT of 195-203°. Remember that a full packer contains the point and you might want to finish that separately if you want to try making burnt ends. You cut the point from the flat and place it back in the smoker unfoiled.BE requires an additional hour or so. BE is then sliced up into bite-sized pieces and mixed with BBQ sauce. You can serve it to your guests while the flat is finishing up. When it's all done you want to keep the brisket flat wrapped in foil and place it in a cooler with either newspapers or a big towel or two over it. Let it rest for at least two hours. It can safely stay in the cooler for hours beyond that. The result will be the best brisket you've ever made in your life.


I ended up smoking a 6 pound flat and a 15 pound packer.  It took about 23 hours for the packer but it turned out perfect!

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuong View Post
 


I ended up smoking a 6 pound flat and a 15 pound packer.  It took about 23 hours for the packer but it turned out perfect!


Congratulations. When you're turning out perfect brisket from your smoker that's when you know that you know what you're doing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers