Heres an update:
I made a few modifications to my COS.
1. Extended the chimney down to the grate
2. Flipped the coal tray and using a grinder I made four 8"L 1/8"W cuts
3. Put an edging block in the bottom to hold heat (Do I need more?) My buddy is bringing me bricks back after the weekend so this will have to do.
4. Bought 2 thermometers with wires attached for each side of the grate. (What to I use to keep them off of the grate?) I see a lot that loot like they're stuck through a piece of wood.
5. Have aluminum pans. (Do I need to add water? If so: How much & what's the best placement?)
6. In the process of building a coal basket for the firebox.
I wasn't able to find anything to seal up around the edges. Will this be a problem? I'm still looking for this material.
I would like to do a test smoke on a Pork Tenderloin this Saturday any recommendations on how to prep would be great.
Sunday I plan to attempt a brisket.
I have apple wood and mesquite wood chunks for smoke.
Thank you for reading!