Need advise desperately,
Very disappointed in the pork butt I attempted to smoke this weekend. It was beyond terrible. He's the specifics...where did I screw up?
- 10 lb pork butt (bone in) from local meat market
- I'm thinking it was way too big and I should have looked for a 4 lb one?
- Trimmed fat cap, covered in mustard and then with rub. Covered with plastic wrap and in the fridge overnight.
- Got Gas smoker fired up (see pic below). Temp around 225 (has gaskets on the door so no heat loss there.
- I did 'not' put water in the water tray but did put chips in the chip tray
- I used the Amazing Smoker 'tray' and lit both ends (on bottom rack). Possible I had too much smoke?
- I did put an aluminum foil tray with plenty of water under the meat but over the Amazing Smoker tray (2nd to bottom rack). It added water mid way.
- Meat went on the middle rack.
- I used my digital thermometer (one probe for the meat, didn't hit bone)...one probe for the smoker internal temp.
- Smoked for 6 hours and 'tried' to keep the smoker temp as close to 225 as possible. It seemed to swing up and down but I was monitoring close as I could to try to keep it as constant as possible. The internal was approaching 160 but wasn't there yet. I pulled it off because I was thinking it was getting too black?
- Wrapped is in two layers of heavy duty foil and put in a pre-heated oven at 225 (with probe).
- In oven for 4 hours...(10 hours of cooking time at this point). It didn't want to get to 190 degrees so I upped the temp to 240 in the 9th hour. Finally reached 190 degrees (it was midnight by this point, got started late due to rain in AM).
- I let the meat rest about 30 minutes...and opened the foil. About 4 + cups of liquid.
- The meat internally was 'gray' like a cooked steak...wasn't light pork colored as I was expecting?
- The meat was tuff. Bone did not lift out. No way could you shred it.
- I tossed the whole thing today....
If you guys can tell me what I was doing wrong I'd appreciate it. I am going to try again Sunday with a smaller butt. I'm not giving up.