SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Recipes Only › Breads › Sausage logs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sausage logs.

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
There are a couple Amish markets around here that make several varieties of dough wrapped hot dogs or sausages. They are absolutely delicious! Trouble is both markets are quite a hike from my house, and when you get there the lines are incredibly long for the sausage stand. Plus they're pretty expensive for what they are.
So the other night we had pizza. I had some dough left over, so the next night I made some sausage logs. Just rolled the dough out to about an eighth of an inch, sprinkled some shredded mozzarella and rolled up a smoked sausage. Then brushed liberally with melted butter and baked at 425° for 22-25 minutes, just till they turn golden brown. Then remove from the oven, brush with butter again and I sprinkled se Hawaiian Black Sea salt on them. Just like from the market!!
post #2 of 18
Wow they look awesome. You need to take more pics.

Points for this.
post #3 of 18
Pizza dog !!!! Good one Bum..... I like it..... icon14.gif ... icon14.gif
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the point cfarmer and thanks Dave. They were stupid easy but really good. Basically just a pig in a blanket but the butter really knocks it out of the park. Not something you should eat every day, but worth an occasional extra cholesterol pill. 😄
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
And sorry about the lack of photos. I wasn't planning on posting anything about this. It was just a quick dinner. They were so good I took a pic of the last half of the last one.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post

There are a couple Amish markets around here that make several varieties of dough wrapped hot dogs or sausages. They are absolutely delicious! Trouble is both markets are quite a hike from my house, and when you get there the lines are incredibly long for the sausage stand. Plus they're pretty expensive for what they are.
So the other night we had pizza. I had some dough left over, so the next night I made some sausage logs. Just rolled the dough out to about an eighth of an inch, sprinkled some shredded mozzarella and rolled up a smoked sausage. Then brushed liberally with melted butter and baked at 425° for 22-25 minutes, just till they turn golden brown. Then remove from the oven, brush with butter again and I sprinkled se Hawaiian Black Sea salt on them. Just like from the market!!

 

Kind of like a working man's beef Wellington........

 

Looks good man.

post #7 of 18
Looks great! I'll take a few for dinner!
post #8 of 18

 That does look good.  I will have to try that. Thanks for posting.

 

Chuck

post #9 of 18

Mdb How can you go wrong with that combo,Pizza & Sausage

Richie

 

:points:

post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the point Richie! It probably woulda been good with some pizza sauce, but since we'd had pizza the night before we just had mustard. It's a really fun and delicious way to use up extra pizza dough.
post #11 of 18
That looks awesome! Pizza dough with any kind of filling is always delicious. brushing it with butter, now that is genius!
post #12 of 18

You sir are a genius! Points!

 

Disco

post #13 of 18
Looks good MD! Reminds me of pepperoni rolls from West Virginia. They make hoagie roll dough and place the pepperoni in the dough and shape it into a hoagie and bake it.
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

You sir are a genius! Points!

Disco
Not hardly, but it was tasty!! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Looks good MD! Reminds me of pepperoni rolls from West Virginia. They make hoagie roll dough and place the pepperoni in the dough and shape it into a hoagie and bake it.
Funny I was torn between making pepperoni rolls or sausage logs. Good friend of ours will drive 3 hours just to get pepperoni rolls fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktogthr View Post

That looks awesome! Pizza dough with any kind of filling is always delicious. brushing it with butter, now that is genius!
Thanks but I can't the credit. The fine Amish folks thought of adding all the butter. I just happen to agree with them!
post #15 of 18

does the sausage have to be cooked before rolling

post #16 of 18
I'm in for a point as well!

We don't make pizza dough often, but we will try this soon!

@vstyn, I would say yes, the sausage link is precooked.
post #17 of 18

Yes they are good.

But here in NJ, most pizza joints sell them as sausage rolls. They are filled with peppers and onions and a little sauce. Also done with chicken, or eggplant.

post #18 of 18

looks good, I'll wanna try this one

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breads
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Recipes Only › Breads › Sausage logs.