or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › About the Forum › Forum Related Issues › Posting on the UK Forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Posting on the UK Forum - Page 2

post #21 of 34

You have to join any group to post in it.

Sausage Makers, N. FL Gathering, S. FL Gathering, MES, Lang, other state groups all groups that's just the way it was set up.

Do we need to change it? Maybe but it's not something done overnight and would require Huddler to do it for us. I'll bring it up to the other admins ad Jeff and see what they think but as I said it would require Huddler's help as well so it won't change overnight 

post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Smokewood..... point taken...... Why is it necessary to join, to post comments... If you are in the learning stages, seems odd you want us to join to make comments....

I concur with what Wade & Smokin Monkey have said. I would personally prefer it if you did not have to register, it would make things a lot easier.

post #23 of 34
someday I'll learn to keep my big fat mouth shut. 😳
post #24 of 34
I was put off by this site originally as it was too much as a beginner smoker from the U.K. I started on bbbqs.com which is British BBQ society forum as it was a simpler forum to navigate and get to grips with smoking and generally learn the ropes. Also as its a smaller community there isn't so many posts to keep up with. Now I'm past the beginning stages and understand a lot more, coming to this forum was then less daunting, but still had to figure it out as the front 'featured content' page was just too much and not what I'm used to seeing for a forum until you then click the forum from the menu bar.

As for content we do need an area so questions can be asked to others from the UK as to something UK specific. Like what to ask the butcher for as our butchers don't know the U.S. Cuts.

I've actually given up with my local butcher after taking in pictures, explaining where the cut is from and how to cut it to no avail so online butchers for me now (which costs a fair bit more 😔 )

And then where to buy other things or alternatives to what the U.S. Guys can find at any store.

I actually bought a recipe online which were all McCormick's ingredients which we do not have, and after using Schwartz as a replacement found its not possible to have the same end result.

Anyways, I think as Wade suggested, sub forums would work best and maybe any search results bringing people to this site would be direct to www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/ as that looks like what you would expect to see going to a forum


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post

someday I'll learn to keep my big fat mouth shut. 😳


YEAH RIGHT !!!!! Right after me..... you can be second, Bum.... 2thumbs.gif
post #26 of 34

Hello.  Points all well taken.  Two things I should point out is A:  IF; as a Lead, I look over I see instead of 179 members we now have 180.  I now know I have a new member who may have NEVER posted anything.  Any where.  They just find the forum and join our Group.  Sad I know but I keep a spreadsheet of all the members ( bit behind now ).  So our new Group member now has zero personal touch.  They may be a bit shy and hesitant.  "Just that personal touch".  I said nothing but a Lead took his time to find me and "Welcome" me to the Group and offer any help he can.  Something to draw in new members.  Many times I get ZERO reply but you would be surprised at how many times I receive a BIG Thank You.  Customer service.  B:  The PM the Group allows a Lead to pass on important info to each member of the Group.  I know you guys across the pond also hear it but how else do you contact all members at once?

 

I can agree that changes could be made but how do we change and still keep the good points.

 

Also for us; the Group is still fragile.  As you heard BBQ/Smoking is only JUST taking off.  We have a hard time retaining members.  One, two questions and they never show up again.  If we don't hold the Group together and support each other; if we just scatter the members to the wind they will be lost.  Vibe got the point.  Guys; we can't get a packer, proper pork shoulder is hard to find.  American breakfast sausage for a fatty?  NOPE!  A decent ring or link sausage?  Most folks have never tasted one.  Many members didn't even realise there was difference between U.S. and U.K. chilli powder until this year.  U.K. members just can't get this info anywhere else.  We ARE part of the Forum.  We WANT to be part of the Forum.  We NEED you guys to help.  We appreciate all your help.  I just feel diluting the Group would not be a good thing.  Just my opinion.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5TPY View Post

Hello.  Points all well taken.  Two things I should point out is A:  IF; as a Lead, I look over I see instead of 179 members we now have 180.  I now know I have a new member who may have NEVER posted anything.  Any where.  They just find the forum and join our Group.  Sad I know but I keep a spreadsheet of all the members ( bit behind now ).  So our new Group member now has zero personal touch.  They may be a bit shy and hesitant.  "Just that personal touch".  I said nothing but a Lead took his time to find me and "Welcome" me to the Group and offer any help he can.  Something to draw in new members.  Many times I get ZERO reply but you would be surprised at how many times I receive a BIG Thank You.  Customer service.  B:  The PM the Group allows a Lead to pass on important info to each member of the Group.  I know you guys across the pond also hear it but how else do you contact all members at once?

I can agree that changes could be made but how do we change and still keep the good points.

Also for us; the Group is still fragile.  As you heard BBQ/Smoking is only JUST taking off.  We have a hard time retaining members.  One, two questions and they never show up again.  If we don't hold the Group together and support each other; if we just scatter the members to the wind they will be lost.  Vibe got the point.  Guys; we can't get a packer, proper pork shoulder is hard to find.  American breakfast sausage for a fatty?  NOPE!  A decent ring or link sausage?  Most folks have never tasted one.  Many members didn't even realise there was difference between U.S. and U.K. chilli powder until this year.  U.K. members just can't get this info anywhere else.  We ARE part of the Forum.  We WANT to be part of the Forum.  We NEED you guys to help.  We appreciate all your help.  I just feel diluting the Group would not be a good thing.  Just my opinion.  Keep Smokin!
Danny

Well said. I see your point, Danny
post #28 of 34
OK all, here's the question in a nutshell: How do you make it perfect? Answer: you can't.

I've come to the conclusion the UK folks need things as they are now. We can still look at "their stuff". If I ever come across a question I think I can provide a valid answer to, I'll join, post, and probably leave the group shortly afterwards.

I think the UK folks need this. They're trying to nurse a fire from an ember. I think the best help we can be is to watch and help where you REALLY think you can.

So, in conclusion, I think it ain't broke, so it don't need fixed.
post #29 of 34

The numbers that are being quoted are accurate but a little misleading, however I am not sure that I would agree that the UK group is actually quite as "fragile" as is being suggested.

As of Monday, of the 179 (now 180) registered UK group members only 137 can be positively identified as being in the UK. Many of the others are from the USA and Canada and some are from mainland Europe. Of those 137 UK members, over 20% of them have not logged into the forum for over a year. This may not sound very positive however, as over 50% of our total registered UK membership have logged in over the last 60 days and 40% of the total membership have posted somewhere in the forum, I think this indicates a fairly healthy group.

 

Over the past 6 months we have seen more new UK members joining than ever before and posting regularly. From October 2012 to February 2015 we saw an average of 3.5 new UK members joining per month whereas in the last 6 months this number has risen to an average of 8.2 per month.

With any forum you are going to get those who come, stay, and post regularly - however you are also going to get those who have an immediate question they need answering, ask a couple of questions and then move on. We also have members that log onto the forum regularly but who choose not to post.

 

Ensuring that there is regular, quality information is, I think, the most important factor in keeping the membership active. Continual personal communication can be effective with some, but it can also have the opposite effect on others. I know from more than one "ex" member thay felt the PM's they received were very intrusive (akin to receiving unsolicited e-mail) and this resulted in them leaving. Everyone is different and reacts in a different way to different types of approach.

 

There has been a cult undercurrent of BBQ Smoking in the UK for many years however over the past 12 months the general awareness has grown as a result of increasing media coverage by certain "celebrity" chefs. Now it is quite common to find BBQ featured in popular household magazines. Much of this revolves around BBQ grilling but increasingly this delves into both indirect cooking and basic smoking. Yes, we do provide a good source of information to those who want more in-depth experience of low-and-slow BBQ but we are certainly not the only source available in the UK (although we are obviously the best :biggrin:). The fact that we have several sell-out major festivals here each year that are dedicated to BBQ Smoking, and an increasing number of successful BBQ restaurants, show that there is actually a significant awareness here of our type of BBQ smoking.

 

Does the type of Smoking/BBQ that people cook the UK have to be the same as what is done in the USA? No of course it doesn't. Just as we (and the Americans) have our own interpretations of Chinese and Indian cuisine, the UK will also develop its own interpretation of smoking meat that best suits the local pallet and the ingredients that we have available here.

 

It seemed that the impression being portrayed to the US folks on here was that good BBQ didn't exist in the UK and that SMF was its only hope in getting going. This is certainly not the case. Yes we provide increased general awareness and a good service to many home BBQers that want to further develop their home BBQ skills - but low and slow BBQ is certainly already alive and kicking over here in the UK.


Edited by Wade - 8/26/15 at 3:05am
post #30 of 34
Thread Starter 
This exchange has been great. I certainly learned things and I hope that I made a meaningful contribution.

The whole of it seems to me to be a bit of a tempest in a teacup. I'm an admitted Anglophile whose ancestors have been predominantly English with some Scots, Irish and Dutch blood thrown in. Perhaps that explains my interest in, and support for, the UK Group. As long as they can accomplish goals that are specific to them without excluding those of us on this side of the pond, I see no reason for change. I kinda like the fact that if a post comes from a group that the group affiliation is shown. This helps me understand and contribute more appropriately. Recently I fell into a thread of posts in the Michigan group. I was about to jump in an give some info when I realized it would be totally worthless to do so.

For as long as the UK Group continues to welcomes our company, we should welcome theirs, in my opinion. If the day comes when the UK Group feels that we in the US/CA et al are not adding value, then I think we part as friends in the smoke and go our separate ways. Until then, I think things are working quite well from my perspective.

My 2 cents (or 2 pence), FWIW
rh
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Phil View Post

OK all, here's the question in a nutshell: How do you make it perfect? Answer: you can't.

I've come to the conclusion the UK folks need things as they are now. We can still look at "their stuff". If I ever come across a question I think I can provide a valid answer to, I'll join, post, and probably leave the group shortly afterwards.

I think the UK folks need this. They're trying to nurse a fire from an ember. I think the best help we can be is to watch and help where you REALLY think you can.

So, in conclusion, I think it ain't broke, so it don't need fixed.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbithutch View Post

This exchange has been great. I certainly learned things and I hope that I made a meaningful contribution.

The whole of it seems to me to be a bit of a tempest in a teacup. I'm an admitted Anglophile whose ancestors have been predominantly English with some Scots, Irish and Dutch blood thrown in. Perhaps that explains my interest in, and support for, the UK Group. As long as they can accomplish goals that are specific to them without excluding those of us on this side of the pond, I see no reason for change. I kinda like the fact that if a post comes from a group that the group affiliation is shown. This helps me understand and contribute more appropriately. Recently I fell into a thread of posts in the Michigan group. I was about to jump in an give some info when I realized it would be totally worthless to do so.

For as long as the UK Group continues to welcomes our company, we should welcome theirs, in my opinion. If the day comes when the UK Group feels that we in the US/CA et al are not adding value, then I think we part as friends in the smoke and go our separate ways. Until then, I think things are working quite well from my perspective.

My 2 cents (or 2 pence), FWIW
rh

The exchange of information has been fantastic and very productive.. Yourself and your fellow countrymen have made a valuable contribution which we are eternally grateful., and we look forward to a lot more threads or replies in the future.  


Edited by smokewood - 8/26/15 at 3:21pm
post #32 of 34

Hello.  Well it seems I am in the minority in the U.K. Group.  Wade, Smokin Monkey and smokewood are now Leads.  Have been for 2-3 months.  If they all agree the "joining process"  should be eliminated; who am I to argue?  Democracy at work.  Fair enough.  3 to 1.  The vote has been counted.  I must follow their lead.  I vote we give them what they ask for.  Right; wrong or otherwise the vote of the U.K. Group Leads has been taken.  "WE" think joining Groups should be changed.  Is a TEAM effort.

  Keep Smokin!

Danny

post #33 of 34
Anybody got any help on how to build YouTube burner tube burner need to know how far apart I should make the holes what taps I need what regulator I need to use as well if somebody's got a list of what I need that will really helpful so I can finish off my project thank you for all your time
post #34 of 34
Hi Hitman, the question you are asking is a very specialist area, this is propane gas we are talking about.

If I am honest, you may not get clear answer on this as the legal ramifications if some thing went wrong or someone got injured could be massive.

My mate has made a hog roast machine, I will ask him about hole sizes, positioning and jet sizes.

Also have a look at http://www.birminghamburner.co.uk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Forum Related Issues
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › About the Forum › Forum Related Issues › Posting on the UK Forum