or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Froma 20 lb Standing Rib Roast to a reverse seared bone prime rib in 45 days. Q-View
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Froma 20 lb Standing Rib Roast to a reverse seared bone prime rib in 45 days. Q-View

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

This was my first try at dry aging at home.

 

I tried the Umai Bags

20 lb choice bone in prime rib

I was going to put my beer PID on the garage fridge but it had been staying between 35.7º and 36.5º  for the 2 weeks prior to putting the meat in.

The humidity stays between 39-45% unless the door has been opened and even then it recovers pretty fast.

 

I went exactly 45 days, I couldn't get any prime primals in town so I had to settle for choice.

 

 

 

 

45 days later:

 

 

 

Trimmed:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Headed for the large Big Green Egg for some hickory smoke and to get the temp to 115º 

 

 

After about an hour straight to the MiniMax it went for the sear:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seared for about 2-3 minutes per side and straight to the plate:

 

 

One of the best steaks I ever had!

post #2 of 18
Looks great! How much did you have to trim?
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

Looks great! How much did you have to trim?

I trimmed too much but including the fat I would have trimmed regardless it was about 10% trim loss and 15% more due to the drying.

post #4 of 18
Wow! That looks incredible. Curious what you have planned for the rest of the steaks? I wonder if they'll keep well in the freezer? Thanks for the great post!
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post

Wow! That looks incredible. Curious what you have planned for the rest of the steaks? I wonder if they'll keep well in the freezer? Thanks for the great post!

Thanks, they are in the freezer, will keep as well or better than regular un-aged steaks.

post #6 of 18
That looks absolutely incredible! and I love that you did the reverse sear. A dry aged, smoked and reverse seared steak. Adding that to my list of future projects!
post #7 of 18
Great looking steak!

POINTS!!!!
post #8 of 18

Wow that looks good. 

post #9 of 18
Very nice , Navigator . Thanks for the look and sharing .
post #10 of 18
man o man! That looks delicious!!!!

What are UMAI bags?

How did you store the uneaten steaks? . . . use vacuum bags?
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbithutch View Post

man o man! That looks delicious!!!!

What are UMAI bags?

How did you store the uneaten steaks? . . . use vacuum bags?

 

They are special bags allow moisture to escape but allow oxygen to flow I guess. http://www.drybagsteak.com/

I vacuum sealed them and froze them.

post #12 of 18

Dang it man that looks awesome - Great job!!!!

 

A full smoker is a happy smoker

 

DS
 

post #13 of 18
Thanks for the info, Navigator!

I learned one more new thing!

yahoo.gif
post #14 of 18

N, Looks like some excellent steaks !:points:

post #15 of 18
Those are some good looking steaks never even thought about doing this great idea. Smoke then sear. Will be doing prime rib for Xmas happened to scroll on this. All sorts of goodies here.grilling_smilie.gif
post #16 of 18

Holy buckets that looks awesome!

 

points!

post #17 of 18
some high quality meat right their.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
 

This was my first try at dry aging at home.

 

I tried the Umai Bags

20 lb choice bone in prime rib

I was going to put my beer PID on the garage fridge but it had been staying between 35.7º and 36.5º  for the 2 weeks prior to putting the meat in.

The humidity stays between 39-45% unless the door has been opened and even then it recovers pretty fast.

 

I went exactly 45 days, I couldn't get any prime primals in town so I had to settle for choice.

 

 

 

 

45 days later:

 

 

 

Trimmed:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Headed for the large Big Green Egg for some hickory smoke and to get the temp to 115º 

 

 

After about an hour straight to the MiniMax it went for the sear:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seared for about 2-3 minutes per side and straight to the plate:

 

 

One of the best steaks I ever had!


Awesome , POINTS>:points:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Froma 20 lb Standing Rib Roast to a reverse seared bone prime rib in 45 days. Q-View