Had the smoker over a month, first brisket packet cut.
So, here are all the data.
- Brisket, Packers cut (8-9 pounds). Breed: Angus from Australia.
- Off-Set smoker, Brinkmann with few modifications. Sealed.
- Using iGrill 2 to monitor temp.
- Using wood chips for smoke (Hickory & Mesquite)
- Lump Charcoal and few briquettes for fire.
- Hot, Humid weather.
Started at 1pm and finished at 11pm. 10 hours smoking of a 8lb packer cut @ 200-250.
Temp was steady between 220-260 for most of the time. Had a few dips in temp, but not for more than 20-30 minutes (only happened twice). I never went over 300 degrees. And rarely did I open the lid.
4-5 hours in, I hit the stall at 140. I wrapped it in foil, it was slowly and gradually increasing. At 168 after 3 hours stalling started to rise up again. I took it out from the foil. This is when I started to worry. The temp started decreasing!!?
Smoker was at 250, even went upto to 290… Brisket was still decreasing degree after degree!! It stayed that way until 157. That’s when I made an executive decision. People were hungry, I caved in called it. Aaand as I was about to take it out..it started to rise again!!! Back at 160..161..163 but I decided it was a first try and I have to learn from mistakes to get better.
I let it rest for 1 hour. Started slicing, it was very very very dry but edible.
So because I know it’s a learning curve, I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong, what I should do and not do next time. I did enough research to start my first brisket journey. Read everything from Jeff's Smoking Meat, Raichlen, Aaron Franklin, countless sites forums and youtube. There are so many variation so I thought stick with a simple method and see what happens.
Here are a few of my concerns trying to solve:
- Water Pan was only full for the first 3-4 hours, didn’t check after! (completely forgot about it)
- Smoker chamber went down to 170-180 for 30 minutes on 2 occasions.
- After the stall, the temp. started decreasing!! WHY?!! Should I just left it for another 2-3 hours?
- Should I have not unwrapped the foil?! (Dip in internal temp occurred after removing foil)
- Maybe I did cut a bit extra of fat layer when trimming.
- Is it normal to go through 12-15kg (30lb) of charcoal for 10 hours?