or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Groups › UK Smokers › Discussions › Half chicken or beer can chicken recipe please

Half chicken or beer can chicken recipe please

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi all

Attended the Caribbean festival in Manchester this weekend and tried for the first time some amazing jerk chicken, very impressed! If it wasn't being sold so expensively then I'd have are a lot more than one peice!!!!!

Also managed to get myself a beer can chicken contraption for cheap so was wondering if anyone has any good recipes for either half chicken or maybe a beer can chicken recipe they can recommend please?

Ideally looking for recipe and cook time as an estimate. (Including Q temp).
Oh and the beer can I'm looking at using is a sweet cider like a Rekorderlig or something similar.

Cheers

Bam
post #2 of 12
I've got a beer can recipe I'll have a look for it
post #3 of 12

this is there jerk rub i use....

 

2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons ground thyme
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon ground pimento
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons dried chives

 

i put chicken plus rub plus a bit of oil in a bag for a few hours, or overnight, then grill indirect till chuck is cooked, finishing it off direct to char.

i also use this on pork chops as a change from jerk chuck.

 

 

as for the beercan job, well you can put anything into the beer like garlic cloves, peppercorns etc, but to be honest, i have tried a few beercan birds and i dont really get anything from it only the cosmetics, cos it looks cool when you take it off the barbie, much prefer to spatchcock now.

 

 

kc.

post #4 of 12

Not impressed with beer can Chicken  but the contraption is good as it allows an all over tan. If you are going to do it try to drink some of the beer first or else it will be all over the place.

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamber View Post

Attended the Caribbean festival in Manchester this weekend and tried for the first time some amazing jerk chicken, very impressed! If it wasn't being sold so expensively then I'd have are a lot more than one peice!!!!!
 

 

The high food prices are usually as a result of the charges the organisers place on the food vendors just to be there. I was talking with one of the BBQ vendors at Grillstock and he was telling me the pitch prices there this year were £5K plus. You have to sell quire a few just to recover the site fee even before you start to recover your own costs and make a profit.

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiska95 View Post
 

Not impressed with beer can Chicken  but the contraption is good as it allows an all over tan. If you are going to do it try to drink some of the beer first or else it will be all over the place.

I'd have to agree, it's more of a novelty than anything else. You don't get any flavor from the liquid. Id much rather spatch a bird. You get more smoke flavor and the bird cooks evenly.

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/142448/dirtsailors-high-temp-chicken-smoke-debunking-that-low-and-slow-brined-and-spritzed-is-the-only-way-to-get-moist-chicken

 

Look at poultry section in this thread, there are multiple chicken recipes:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/191066/dirtsailors-mega-mother-of-all-cooking-links-index

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post

The high food prices are usually as a result of the charges the organisers place on the food vendors just to be there. I was talking with one of the BBQ vendors at Grillstock and he was telling me the pitch prices there this year were £5K plus. You have to sell quire a few just to recover the site fee even before you start to recover your own costs and make a profit.

At many festivals the organisers also take a percentage of GP.
post #8 of 12

Beer can chicken, who knows what the paint on the can contains ?

post #9 of 12
Whilst I've never cooked beercan chicken, I've eaten and I tend to agree with kettlecooker above, it's never added anything to tge taste for me.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the reply everyone, I'll still try a beer can chicken but I think spatchcock might have priority especially jerk
post #11 of 12
Hi Bamber, the only thing the Beer Can will do, is help keep the Chicken moist, you will get very little to no flavour from the Beer.

Regarding Events and Festivals, I supply to lots a catered at these events, the prices start form £2K up to £10K or initial fee, or a % or profit, which is ever the greatest.
post #12 of 12
I worked in a beverage can making plant until I retired three years ago, all the inks are water based now and don't contain any nasties. The inks are cured by heat in an oven, can't remember the exact temp but it will be in excess of 100°C, and technically, as long as the can has beer in it, it won't get higher than that up a chook's chuff.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: UK Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Groups › UK Smokers › Discussions › Half chicken or beer can chicken recipe please