So yesterday I bought a new Bradley 4 rack digital, and today while on my lunch, I went down to the butchers and picked up some chicken legs and thighs, marinated in some miscellaneous yellow rub (i think it was garlic and herb). This is my second ever attempt at smoking (first was sunday)
The smoker took about an hour to reach 230F. Once it got up to temp, i put in the chicken and the smoker therm dropped to below 100F. It then took about an hour to get back up to 220.
I used hickory bisquettes for the first 2 hours, then just the heat for the next 2. here's how they turned out...
£16 off amazon
Some random dry rubbed chicken thighs
Now the waiting game...still in my work clothes, too excited for smoking, to bother taking them off.
getting pretty dark toward the end. Also, when the smoker got to 230F, it started dropping in temperature, and ended up around 223 for about 45 minutes. I then set the temp to 290 and it crept back up to 230 where i wanted it. However, as you can see below, i've got two different BBQ thermometers sticking into the damper. 1 was reading about 280F-290F, and the other 250F. All while the Bradley was showing 230F.
The chicken could have done with either an hour less, or a lower temp (if going by the analog ones on top) It was super tasty, really really tender and fall off the bone, but slightly dryer than i'd like. My Dad also insisted we throw some sausages on there too..hey we're extremely flavourful, but again slightly too dry on the edge.