New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dome calculation?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Have an unknown size tank that was given to me. Stored refrigerant of some sorts. Easy enough for me to figure out length and circumference/diameter but how does one calculate the volume of the domes?
post #2 of 17

Assuming it is relatively spherical, you can use a half sphere calculation, or a whole sphere if both ends are domes of the same size. If it's irregular, I have no idea. 

 

 

Also, be careful cutting up refrigerant tanks, I think they have to be disposed of by qualified professionals due to the the environmental impact of the coolants used in them. 

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
It is empty.
post #4 of 17
Domes are fairly simple, you just need a few more measurements. If it is near spherical just use the round calculations and subtract one half. If it is really oblong then Google dome volume .....there are many calculators out there.

RG
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy View Post

Domes are fairly simple, you just need a few more measurements. If it is near spherical just use the round calculations and subtract one half. If it is really oblong then Google dome volume .....there are many calculators out there.

RG
Round calculations? Didn't get past Business Math in school....and pretty much don't remember what I learned yesterday so....
post #6 of 17

inkjunkie, you've got mail, PM actually

post #7 of 17
Ink, morning...... just guesstimate at 50% of a cylinder.... close enough......
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBuzzard View Post

inkjunkie, you've got mail, PM actually


CB, morning...... PM's actually deprive others from learning.... not trying to be an a$$, this is a learning forum.....
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post


CB, morning...... PM's actually deprive others from learning.... not trying to be an a$$, this is a learning forum.....

Hola Dave,

 

Wasn't sure about posting an external link, so I sent the PM.  

post #11 of 17
From what I understand, external links that are relevant to a specific problem are allowed.... Without that exception, this forum would be close to useless....
post #12 of 17
There is a simple way of calculating the dome volume. The dome shape is called an oblate spheroid (flattened ball!) and the volume can be calculated using the formula V =0.5×0.75×PI×R×R×H. Using diameter instead of radius and simplifying we get

V = 0.52 × D × D × H, where D is the tank Diameter and H is the dome height measured from the weld seam.

If we are not too worried by details and can accept a 4% calculation error we can simply use

V = D×D×H/2

Or, for both domes in one

V = D×D×H

More info on spheroids can be found at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblate_spheroid

Cheers /Wes
Edited by swechef - 7/26/15 at 2:51am
post #13 of 17

You could also play with this: http://www.arachnoid.com/TankCalc/

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swechef View Post

There is a simple way of calculating the dome volume. The dome shape is called an oblate spheroid (flattened ball!) and the volume can be calculated using the formula V =0.5×0.75×PI×R×R×H. Using diameter instead of radius and simplifying we get

V = 0.52 × D × D × H, where D is the tank Diameter and H is the dome height measured from the weld seam.

If we are not too worried by details and can accept a 4% calculation error we can simply use

V = D×D×H/2

Or, for both domes in one

V = D×D×H

More info on spheroids can be found at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblate_spheroid

Cheers /Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikun View Post

You could also play with this: http://www.arachnoid.com/TankCalc/
Thanks
post #15 of 17

What did you find to work the best inkjunky? I just got 2 60g and 1 180gallon i need to do my calculations as well, save me cutting them off and welding in flat ends.

post #16 of 17

 

Easy way is to measure tank from end to end . Then measure from weld seam to weld seam . Subtract weld to weld from overall tank. Divide the difference by 1/2 and add the result back to the weld to weld length. This is the tank length you want to use.

If you look at the sketch, you want 1 end and the center added together. Use the diameter from the center of the tank.

I should add that I got my info from Dave on how to figure this for my tank.

post #17 of 17
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Reverse Flow