or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › July 5th Butt (qview)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

July 5th Butt (qview)

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Decided to do a pork butt today as it was beautiful outside. Threw it on at 7:30AM CST. Just wrapped it about 20min ago, here's what it looked like:

 

 

 

 

Nice bark...I didn't wrap it this time, it took 9 hours to finish. It's sitting in my oven right now, wrapped in tin foil, for another 45min before I take it out to pull it. I'll upload more pictures after it's pulled.

 

What's everyone else smoking today?

-D

post #2 of 12

Looks Real Nice, D !!:drool

 

Nice Job!!Thumbs Up

 

That's worth---:points: Even before it's pulled !!:drool

 

 

Bear

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks Bear!

 

Here's how it turned out:

 

 

 

 

I'll be making tacos and such with the leftovers all week. Hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend!

 

-D

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlchi View Post
 

Thanks Bear!

 

Here's how it turned out:

 

I'll be making tacos and such with the leftovers all week. Hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend!

 

-D

 

Looks Beautiful !!:drool

 

Bear

post #5 of 12

Hey drlchi

 

Great looking pulled pork--nice bark.  That's next on my list

 

Gary

post #6 of 12
Looks good man. I did my very first one ever on the 22" weber kettle grill. 9.5 hours and took off at 200 IT. Looks like the bark on your was a little lighter than mine.....wonder what the difference was? What did you smoke yours on?

Here's mine....



post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys!

I did mine on a mod'd dyna-glo vertical offset (pic is old, but you get the idea). Used cherry and pecan.

I've noticed those who use a WSM or a UDS and those who use the rounded (barrel) offsets tend to get better bark than I do when I use my vertical, which has 90 degree angles. I think it has something to do with aerodynamics and how the smoke circles the meat when it's going...but I have no evidence to support my claim. I do have a barrel I need to clean out, maybe it's time for an experiment!

PS nygiant, that looks like an awesome first WSM butt!
post #8 of 12

Fantastic.  Sorry I dont have Qview but ours came out perfectly as well.  It was a huge treat having a couple of days of pulled pork sandwiches.  I was surprised how well it reheated.  Great job.

post #9 of 12
@drlchi :
What temp did you run your smoker? What was the final temp of the meat?
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post

@drlchi :
What temp did you run your smoker? What was the final temp of the meat?


I try to keep mine between 225F and 250F - I'd say I got an average of about 240F, which was pretty good to be honest (usually it fluctuates more). Final temp of the meat when it came off was 199F I think (never got passed 200F and my guests were gettin' hungry :wife:)

 

Have you tried to figure this out before? I do have 2 smokers, I may do one butt in my vertical and one butt in my barrel next weekend to see what happens.

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlchi View Post

Thanks guys!

I did mine on a mod'd dyna-glo vertical offset (pic is old, but you get the idea). Used cherry and pecan.

I've noticed those who use a WSM or a UDS and those who use the rounded (barrel) offsets tend to get better bark than I do when I use my vertical, which has 90 degree angles. I think it has something to do with aerodynamics and how the smoke circles the meat when it's going...but I have no evidence to support my claim. I do have a barrel I need to clean out, maybe it's time for an experiment!

PS nygiant, that looks like an awesome first WSM butt!

Thanks man. Ill have to try cherry and pecan like you used. I used hickory and apple.

Oh yeah, it wasn't a WSM, it was a 22" kettle grill! I really surprised myself.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygiant View Post


Thanks man. Ill have to try cherry and pecan like you used. I used hickory and apple.

Oh yeah, it wasn't a WSM, it was a 22" kettle grill! I really surprised myself.


Whoops...misread what you posted. Nice work on the grill!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › July 5th Butt (qview)