or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › Old girl finally died! MES 40
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Old girl finally died! MES 40

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

My old MES 40 finally gave up the ghost (while cooking 4 butts by the way)! She has worked well for the last 6 years and I have drug it all over the country for work. Broke down and bought the new 40" from Sam's today with the blue tooth. Hope it works as good. I've read some people has had a hard time keeping the amazing smoker burning in the new one.

The raised lags and wheels are really a nice idea.

 

Good bye old girl.


Welcome to the family. Just couldn't go with out one. The 250 Bubba is just not practical for small family cooks.

post #2 of 10

I've never seen the inside of the Generation 1, but was under the impression that the Gen 1 and the new BT are the same inside other than some rods running across just off the bottom. If that would be true, then the AMPS should burn the same in both the old one and the new one. I didn't do well the first time I used my AMPS MAZE, but from I have read since, I may not have had it lit well enough to start plus I should have pulled the chip loader out 1-2 inches with the dump side down to let air into the smoker. I think that is all I will need is a better fire (cherry) in the MAZE or Tube and air at the chip dumper as I had some chips that weren't working right the other day, and I did the chip dumper trick and within a few seconds the chips began smoking like crazy.

 

Will find out next week when I do pellets again.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

Well the Amazing smoker seems to work fine in the new model. Been doing a test run for 4 hours and it's burning fine. Just have the smoke tray about half way out. Was concerned about that. Several of my friends with the lowes model have had trouble keeping it lit. The bluetooth is ok but it seems to drop the connection if I get on the far end the house with it

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickguy221 View Post
 

I've never seen the inside of the Generation 1, but was under the impression that the Gen 1 and the new BT are the same inside other than some rods running across just off the bottom. If that would be true, then the AMPS should burn the same in both the old one and the new one. I didn't do well the first time I used my AMPS MAZE, but from I have read since, I may not have had it lit well enough to start plus I should have pulled the chip loader out 1-2 inches with the dump side down to let air into the smoker. I think that is all I will need is a better fire (cherry) in the MAZE or Tube and air at the chip dumper as I had some chips that weren't working right the other day, and I did the chip dumper trick and within a few seconds the chips began smoking like crazy.

 

Will find out next week when I do pellets again.


The Gen 1 has the grease drain opening in the middle back of the drip pan vs. the middle of the drip pan in Gen 2.5 BT.  The Gen 1 heating element is surrounded by a chip tray housing and has three holes on the left side for the smoke to exit, directing the smoke/air  to the center of the smoker.  That's probably why the AMNPS on the rails works so well with air blowing on it with the Gen 1.  The Gen 2.5 BT has an open element that is visible, allowing smoke/air to disperse anywhere after the chip tray.

-Kurt

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickguy221 View Post
 

I've never seen the inside of the Generation 1, but was under the impression that the Gen 1 and the new BT are the same inside other than some rods running across just off the bottom. If that would be true, then the AMPS should burn the same in both the old one and the new one. I didn't do well the first time I used my AMPS MAZE, but from I have read since, I may not have had it lit well enough to start plus I should have pulled the chip loader out 1-2 inches with the dump side down to let air into the smoker. I think that is all I will need is a better fire (cherry) in the MAZE or Tube and air at the chip dumper as I had some chips that weren't working right the other day, and I did the chip dumper trick and within a few seconds the chips began smoking like crazy.

 

Will find out next week when I do pellets again.

I am smoking some Brats rolled in mustard and then rolled in a rub and wrapped with bacon right now. I will apply a sauce 30 minutes before they are done. I am using the 5 x 8 MAZE with Hickory pellets. Not knowing if it will put out enough smoke when lit from one end, I lit both ends this time and have chip loader pulled out 2" with dump side down. At the moment, it appears all is good with the amount of smoke. When done in approx 2 hrs, I will find out if it was enough smoke or too much smoke or  etc etc. and go from there next time. 

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickguy221 View Post
 

I am smoking some Brats rolled in mustard and then rolled in a rub and wrapped with bacon right now. I will apply a sauce 30 minutes before they are done. I am using the 5 x 8 MAZE with Hickory pellets. Not knowing if it will put out enough smoke when lit from one end, I lit both ends this time and have chip loader pulled out 2" with dump side down. At the moment, it appears all is good with the amount of smoke. When done in approx 2 hrs, I will find out if it was enough smoke or too much smoke or  etc etc. and go from there next time. 


I like the spiral cut hot dogs using a chop stick through the middle like Jeff Phillips method.  It holds the toppings well and tastes close to bacon since there is more surface area to caramelize.

-Kurt

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
 


I like the spiral cut hot dogs using a chop stick through the middle like Jeff Phillips method.  It holds the toppings well and tastes close to bacon since there is more surface area to caramelize.

-Kurt

I am doing the Jeff Phillips method right now for the first time. It is not the sprial cut one, it is a later one that came out in May of this year.

 

I am doing Johnsonville Brats, so don't know how they will taste. Five more minutes and  I have to go put Jeff's sauce on, that is Jeff's sauce with my changes I made to improve the taste of his sauce ... for my famiily's taste anyhow. 


Edited by Brickguy221 - 7/5/15 at 2:40pm
post #8 of 10
I noticed the aluminum pan in the bottom of the old smoker.... You probably burned out the electronics that are located below the floor, by overheating them.....

May I suggest you do not do that to the new smoker...
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 

Dave didn't think about the heat build up there. You may be right but I've ran it that way for 6 years using a foil pan as a grease trap. Will have to rethink that one. At least the new one has the drain in the middle instead of the back. And with the legs I can put an extra pan under it.

post #10 of 10

Wish I lived close to you for I would come over and haul that nasty old Gen 1 away for free.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › Old girl finally died! MES 40