As i posted in another post, my large OzarkSmoke Reverse Flow smoker trailer was just a bit too much smoker for regular home use, so it left me searching the interwebs. A Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS), seemed to fit the bill; and with that, I was off.
I purchased the drums from a company just outside of St. Louis, Missouri in Venice, IL called Container Distributors. They charged $60 for a brand new open top unlined drum with lid (here is the link http://www.containerdistributors.com/). These drums give me 33" of interior drum height to deal with, and for these we will be using a flat lid.
Here was my initial design:
Drum Interior Height = 33"
Location of Top Rack from Top of Smoker = 8"
Location of Lower Rack from Top of Smoker = 14"
Charcoal Basket Overall Height (Including 3" Standoff) = 13" (10" Charcoal wall)
Charcoal Basket Inside Diameter = 15" (using 3/4 x #9 Exp Metal)
Quantity of Air Intakes = 2
Size of Air Intakes = 1-1/2 Standard Pipe
Location of Air Intakes From Outside Bottom = 3" to Center of Pipe
Size of Exhaust On Lid = 3" Standard Pipe
Location of Exhaust On Lid = Unknown
Well, we finished 2 of the 4 UDS smokers this week before Jeff Fitter and I took off for the Tri-County BBQ Championship in Festus, Missouri. We didn't cook our competition on the drums, but it gave us something to play with during the down time. I have to say, I am really really impressed with the drums.
Here are some photos from the process.
I bought these drums from Container Distributors in Venice, IL for $60/each.
You can see the layout lines for the 2 shelves, the diffuser shelf, and the hanging racks at the top.
Time to fit up the exhaust on the lids. A 1ft piece of 3" Standard Pipe fit the bill.
Almost all fitted up and ready for welding.
Time to get it all welded up.
I did not want a hinged lid, but also didn't want a hook to just hang the lid. Some small tubing and round rod did the trick nicely.
Lots and lots of grinding.
Without a doubt, the Charcoal Baskets took the longest to complete. Cutting 3/4 x #9 Expanded metal with a torch is tedious work.
Exhaust covers and some "bling" are painted up.
A look at the first one painted up for Phatso's BBQ, a friend of mine. We used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel for the paint in aerosol cans (it took 3 full cans per UDS).
A look at the first one painted up for OzarkSmoke, this one's mine. We used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel for the paint in aerosol cans (it took 3 full cans per UDS).
Both UDS's together. We have 2 more that are almost done, but weren't quite ready for photos.
I really like the look of the stand-off for the logos, and the alternating colors.