or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Questions from a Rookie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questions from a Rookie - Page 2

post #21 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

Thats what I thought you are actually guessing,Smoking does require a little bit of better temp control.Stock therm can't be trusted do a boiling water test on it.You may want to add your location to your profile it also helps anwering questions.

Duly noted Tropics, any recommendations? 

post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskItToBrisket View Post

Na just the stock thermometer, it seemed to work well.

Next time you fire up, stick an oven therm inside and see if the temp is difference.
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskItToBrisket View Post
 

Duly noted Tropics, any recommendations? 

I have a Polder and a Maverick E 71 they are not expensive,I have checked both a few times and they are accurate 

All honesty every thing you cook,when you can monitor the temp will be amazingly tender,the tooth pick I use on almost everything it is fool proof test.

Richie 

post #24 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSlowSmoker View Post


Next time you fire up, stick an oven therm inside and see if the temp is difference.

That sounds like a good idea, if not for peace of mind.

post #25 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

I have a Polder and a Maverick E 71 they are not expensive,I have checked both a few times and they are accurate 

All honesty every thing you cook,when you can monitor the temp will be amazingly tender,the tooth pick I use on almost everything it is fool proof test.

Richie 

Alright, so no more stock therms, and the toothpick test is on point. Got it. I really appreciate the insight! 

post #26 of 30
Thread Starter 

Also can you smoke a brisket in less than 10 hrs and have it be tender?

post #27 of 30

No Chips, and I wouldn't soak.  I do use chunks every once in a while. We have a bunch of pecan split right now. But If I want a different flavor profile I'll go look and see what chunks I have.

post #28 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
 

No Chips, and I wouldn't soak.  I do use chunks every once in a while. We have a bunch of pecan split right now. But If I want a different flavor profile I'll go look and see what chunks I have.

Well we have a bevy of post oak, but i want to try pecan. Also I was told to stay away from mesquite, what's your opinion?

post #29 of 30
The Maverick e-732 or 733 is a good unit to use for grate temps and for internals. Also, if your stock therm is not in calibration (and I would bet it's not), I would look at replacing it with a River Country unit. The Tel-Tru is also good, but about 3 times more money. Good luck, Joe
post #30 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post

The Maverick e-732 or 733 is a good unit to use for grate temps and for internals. Also, if your stock therm is not in calibration (and I would bet it's not), I would look at replacing it with a River Country unit. The Tel-Tru is also good, but about 3 times more money. Good luck, Joe

Thank you Joe!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Questions from a Rookie