or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Meat suggestion for a week night smoke
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meat suggestion for a week night smoke

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

You know, something I can ask my wife to do as she wants to try out my new MES BT 40.  I got the weekends covered (think I will do a brisket next), but she wants to give it a go too.  It's got to be simple with minimal effort.  Any ideas?  I'm thinking poultry.  Thoughts??

post #2 of 15

I smoked some chicken thighs last Thursday.  Had them in the fridge brining throughout the day.  Then they were ready for the smoker when i got home.  

post #3 of 15

You could try a "Ham Eye" or something similar..

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/189583/ham-eye#post_1365283

 

They have worked well for me. Quick and easy.

post #4 of 15
Not sure what you mean by "simple and minimal effort". Time constraints due to the week night? A pork tenderloin would be quick and relatively easy. Take it to 140° and rest it for 10-15 minutes and it'll be fantastic. Any basic BBQ rub will be good. For a little something extra take it to 125° in the smoker, rest it for 15 minutes then sear on all sides over hot coals or in a hot cast iron skillet with a pat of butter.
Good luck and let us know how she does!! By the way, you better be careful. Wives have been known to have tremndous aptitude for smoking. Some just consider it another aspect of "cooking", and can be embarrassingly good at it.
post #5 of 15

Burgers or chicken breasts for me when it has to be a quickie.

post #6 of 15

Definitely chicken parts (breasts or thighs), ready-made sausages, fish, even burgers. 

post #7 of 15
If you have 2-2 1/2 hours you can do some Memphis style dry ribs. Get your cooker up to 325 through ribs in without rub or sauce. Baste with mop every 15-20 mins. When the ribs bend to almost breaking baste one last time then coat with rub and leave in smoker for 5-10mins. Remove from smoker and cover for 10mins. Rub should be stuck to ribs. Then stick them to your ribs and enjoy.
post #8 of 15

I reserve all smoking for the weekends. If I want smoked meat on a weeknight I simply dig through the stash of food in the freezer and find something that sounds good. Last week I found a chunk of smoked ham that resulted in ham and biscuits for dinner. 

post #9 of 15

Double smoked spiral ham is pretty simple.

post #10 of 15

Chicken Thighs in an MES 40 "Made Easy":

 

 
 
 
Bear
post #11 of 15
I was worried about you Bear. Figured you'd have posted at least a couple links to your past smokes within a few minutes! 😄
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 

I'm definitely going to try the chicken!

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post

I was worried about you Bear. Figured you'd have posted at least a couple links to your past smokes within a few minutes! 😄


LOL---I don't do a lot of Chicken---Usually just Thighs.

 

 

Bear

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post


LOL---I don't do a lot of Chicken---Usually just Thighs.


Bear
Well they look pretty amazing. This place has ruined "simple" for me. Last night I'd gotten a pack of thighs, as they were on sale again. We'd been out of town all weekend and decided to just toss a couple thighs in the oven and have some corn on the cob with them. Ended up rubbing the chicken over/under the skin and on the backside, letting it rest in the refer for a while, then baking at 250 until it got to 160°, then resting, then searing the skin in a hot cast iron pan. As for the corn, I ended up taking a half hour to shuck it because I was carefully cutting around the stalk end and peeling each leaf individually to save the best ones for tamale making later in the week. Then I almost went ahead and made the Mexican street vendor corn.... but I was reminded that this was a "simple" Monday night dinner.
Long story short, there are no simple meals once you start messing around with this site. And it's awesome!
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post


Well they look pretty amazing. This place has ruined "simple" for me. Last night I'd gotten a pack of thighs, as they were on sale again. We'd been out of town all weekend and decided to just toss a couple thighs in the oven and have some corn on the cob with them. Ended up rubbing the chicken over/under the skin and on the backside, letting it rest in the refer for a while, then baking at 250 until it got to 160°, then resting, then searing the skin in a hot cast iron pan. As for the corn, I ended up taking a half hour to shuck it because I was carefully cutting around the stalk end and peeling each leaf individually to save the best ones for tamale making later in the week. Then I almost went ahead and made the Mexican street vendor corn.... but I was reminded that this was a "simple" Monday night dinner.
Long story short, there are no simple meals once you start messing around with this site. And it's awesome!

 

LOL---Simple??

I know how to do Simple:

Simple Chicken is when Mrs Bear bakes the Drums & Thighs for 45 minutes----Then gives them to me.

Then I just sauce them & finish them on my Weber "Q", just enough to set the sauce & give them some grill marks.

 

This would be a great middle of the week meal, but there's really no smoke involved (Makes Mrs Bear Happy).

Look how easy:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/196042/legs-thighs-on-the-q

 

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Meat suggestion for a week night smoke