This cook did have some technical difficulties, but overall the food was great. I put Gary's beans on at the same time I put on the ribs, about 12:30 Royal Oak lump and got her stabalized at 219 degrees before I put on the meat. I used 5 chunks of almond wood for the smoke. I let the BGE creep up to 225 and shut it down some more and held that temp for most of the cook. Checked the beans and stirred em about 2 hours in. They were pretty watery (so I thought) so I decided to keep em there for the rest of the cook. That wasn't such a good idea cuz when I pulled them at 4:30 they was overdone and a little dried out. I should also say that I didn't follow Gary's recipe to the T cuz I don't care much for pork and beans (call it too many of em when I was a kid). I substituted Teasdale pinto beans and reserved most of the liquid from the cans when I put the beans together with all the mixins. Anyway, I used the toothpick test (learned on this site yesterday) and the
meat was done, so I pulled the beans and the meat. I tented the meat in foil and put it in the oven at 170 till about 30 minutes before we were going to eat. I added some of the reserved bean liquid and another squirt of Sweet Baby Rays to the beans and put them in a pot on the stove. I left the BGE ready and hot at about 300 so I could cook the corn, and put the ribs back on to mop em.
My wife wanted some pineapple so that's those little yellow chunks. The beans got reheated while I was finishing up the corn and ribs, and we set down to some very excellent baby backs and some not quite so excellent beans (totally my fault, Gary). Next time I think I'll nail em! The flavor was great, but like I said...overcooked.
So that's my story and I'm stickin to it. I hope y'all ate as well as we did last night.