or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question on pink salt

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Quick question.  I got a nice 6.5 lb belly and I want to make some bacon!!!   Whats the difference between Pink Salt #1 and #2?  Can I use #2 for making bacon?   That's all the butcher had and said it's all they use for their curing. 

 

thanks in advance for the answer!!!

 

Scott

post #2 of 12

Not sure but I think #1 is for cures of a week or two, like for bacon, and #2 is for cures of months, like for salami. Something about nitrates vs. nitrites.

post #3 of 12


Scott I have a bag of cure #2 it says to use for dry curing,These are products that do not require cooking,smoking or refrigeration.

Hope this helps and the guys that know better come online.

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 

Well POOP!!!   I am curing for 7 days.   Hmmmmm guess I need #1

 

Scott

post #5 of 12
You need #1, #2 is for dry cured meats like Tropics said.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 

Off to the store GRRRRRRRRR 

 

thanks guys for the info!

 

Scott

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PadronMan View Post
 

Well POOP!!!   I am curing for 7 days.   Hmmmmm guess I need #1

 

Scott

You can also use TQ bye Morton. Check Bears step by step for that.


Edited by tropics - 6/2/15 at 2:55pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PadronMan View Post
 

Quick question.  I got a nice 6.5 lb belly and I want to make some bacon!!!   Whats the difference between Pink Salt #1 and #2?  Can I use #2 for making bacon?   That's all the butcher had and said it's all they use for their curing. 

 

thanks in advance for the answer!!!

 

Scott

Freeze the belly & do your research. You should know exactly what you're doing & exactly what you need to do it before attempting to cure your own meats! A careless mistake could be fatal! While learning the different cures & methods there are plenty of good kits out there that make a fine product & all you have to do is follow their directions.

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB59 View Post
 

Freeze the belly & do your research. You should know exactly what you're doing & exactly what you need to do it before attempting to cure your own meats! A careless mistake could be fatal! While learning the different cures & methods there are plenty of good kits out there that make a fine product & all you have to do is follow their directions.

 

Appreciate your concern but I have a tried and true recipe (my brothers) and was just wondering what the difference in the 2 cures was before purchasing.  

 

Scott

post #10 of 12

Some good info on curing salts.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewmeister View Post
 

Some good info on curing salts.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

Excellent link!!  thanks CHEW!!!

 

Scott

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PadronMan View Post
 

 

Appreciate your concern but I have a tried and true recipe (my brothers) and was just wondering what the difference in the 2 cures was before purchasing.  

 

Scott

Good to know! Good luck with your smoke! Post some pics in the bacon thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion