or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Charcoal Smokers › temperature differences on 18.5 wsm top and bottom grate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

temperature differences on 18.5 wsm top and bottom grate

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi guys
i am smoking 5 racks of ribs on my wsm. 2 racks are on the bottom grate, 3 are on the top (using a rib rack).

I have a water pan with water (1/3 full). I am measuring temps using a maverick et 733. Checked thr probes prior to use and they were only off by about a degree from each other.

I am about an hour into my smoke and i cant get the top and bottom grate temps close to each other. I am seeing a 50 degree difference where the bottom grate us 50 degrees cooler. This makes it hard to be at my cooking temp of 250 since that means my top would need to be 300.

Right now my top is 270 and my bottom is 217. Anyone else have problems like this?
post #2 of 7

The issue is the water.  The temps are closer when you dry smoke, about 15F.

post #3 of 7
I'd agree water related. I smoked two butts awhile back they were close in size and there was no more than a three degree difference in the butts the whole smoke.
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noboundaries View Post

The issue is the water.  The temps are closer when you dry smoke, about 15F.

Thank you i will try That. So just foil the empty water pan?
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-one View Post

I'd agree water related. I smoked two butts awhile back they were close in size and there was no more than a three degree difference in the butts the whole smoke.

Thank you bone. Do you change your process when you Smoke without water? Like do you spray water or juice on the meat more?
post #6 of 7

I spritz my ribs.  Apple Juice is good, also 50/50  apple juice and apple cider vinegar 

 

Gary

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post

I spritz my ribs.  Apple Juice is good, also 50/50  apple juice and apple cider vinegar 

Gary

Thank you. Sounds good
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Charcoal Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Charcoal Smokers › temperature differences on 18.5 wsm top and bottom grate