I am a beginner and needs advise if my method of cooked - smoked sausages is right?
1. Cut meat into small pieces and grind the meat.
2. After stuffing using natural casing. We use Transglutaminase for our sausage so we have to let it dry for approx. 20-30 mins so the transglutaminase will take effect.
Q1: Do I need to poke my sausage before I boil or smoke them?
3. Then we boil the sausages for ± 25 mins with temperature of 80OC.
4. After boiled to 80 C, quickly cool the sausages in ice water for ± 5-10 mins.
5. After that, dried the sausage for 1-2 hrs in room temperature before putting into the smokehouse.
6. Then we follow these steps, read from some references:
Keep the temperature inside the sausage smoker between 160 and 165O F Max. (71 - 73.9 O Celcius)
Q2: Is this still applicable as we have already cooked the sausages?
Take your sausage out of smoker when it reaches an internal temperature of 152 O F. (66.77 O Celcius)
Q3: Is this also still applicable as we have already cooked the sausages?
Q4: How can I get more smoke from my smokehouse? Using steps above, we didn’t get a lot of smoke. We even tried to burn the wood chips first then put it inside. Gave us the smoke we wanted, but only last 10-15 mins and we need to use too many wood chips.
7. Once reached internal temp, then we cool the sausages in ice water again for ± 5-10 mins.
8. Take them out and ‘bloom’ for 2-3 hrs. Start packaging.
Need help on this. Thank you.