or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Meat Thermometers › Anyone Used the Cappecs Leave-in Kitchen Thermometer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone Used the Cappecs Leave-in Kitchen Thermometer?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

This is not the bluetooth model, just a poke-and-go. Looks like a pretty good price:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Cappecs-Kitchen-Oven-Smoker-Thermometer/sim/B00R3Z0EZG/2

 

post #2 of 13

In my opinion, having 2 probes for the smoker is absolutely needed. 

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgautheir20420 View Post
 

In my opinion, having 2 probes for the smoker is absolutely needed. 


Not sure I follow you, please explain...Thanks!

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardman View Post
 


Not sure I follow you, please explain...Thanks!

 

Sorry. After reading, my post was very vague. Many use a thermo that has 2 probes on the unit. One to stick into the meat and one to have attached to the smoker grates to monitor temps inside of the chamber. I use it for my MES30. Personally I have a Maverick dual probe model, but there are many others out there. Hope that helps.

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardman View Post
 

This is not the bluetooth model, just a poke-and-go. Looks like a pretty good price:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Cappecs-Kitchen-Oven-Smoker-Thermometer/sim/B00R3Z0EZG/2

 


Wally World has a single probe wireless therm by Backyard Grill for $15.47.  32*F ice water test, 212*F boiling water test for my altitude.  Definitely need two probes (cooking chamber and food.)  I have three different single probe digital therms. -Kurt

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgautheir20420 View Post
 

 

Sorry. After reading, my post was very vague. Many use a thermo that has 2 probes on the unit. One to stick into the meat and one to have attached to the smoker grates to monitor temps inside of the chamber. I use it for my MES30. Personally I have a Maverick dual probe model, but there are many others out there. Hope that helps.


Is this the Maverick you have, Model ET-73?

 

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardman View Post
 


Is this the Maverick you have, Model ET-73?

 

 

I have model 733 found here http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Range-Wireless-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B00FOCR4UI/ but I don't see anything wrong with that one.

post #8 of 13

For a couple extra bucks you get better probes that last one heck of a lot longer. You get what you pay for with these units. I have the Maverick et-732 and it's great but they have two newer models now. Know that your smoker thermometer is probably off if not way off. That is why it is good to have a digital like these. They have alarms you can set if the meat is ready while you are taking a nap or if the smoker needs attention or anything. Very usefull features for all night smokes.

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardman View Post
 


Is this the Maverick you have, Model ET-73?

 

This model is at least 10 years old tech and has a very short range. like 20 feet. The newer models have 100 yards and will beam through walls.

post #10 of 13

One last note. Do you really want to rely on an el-cheapo thermometer for that 75 dollar prime rib or brisket?

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjet View Post
 

For a couple extra bucks you get better probes that last one heck of a lot longer. You get what you pay for with these units. I have the Maverick et-732 and it's great but they have two newer models now. Know that your smoker thermometer is probably off if not way off. That is why it is good to have a digital like these. They have alarms you can set if the meat is ready while you are taking a nap or if the smoker needs attention or anything. Very usefull features for all night smokes.

 

Thanks TJ, I've read everywhere the MEP internal smoker/meat thermometer is pretty much useless and I'm not real comfortable with the MEP digital display for the internal smoker temp either. Going to spend a little more and go with a dual probe, like the idea of set-and-forget, just wish I could find one with a shock collar attachment since I am a pretty sound napper <g>...

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardman View Post
 

 

Thanks TJ, I've read everywhere the MEP internal smoker/meat thermometer is pretty much useless and I'm not real comfortable with the MEP digital display for the internal smoker temp either. Going to spend a little more and go with a dual probe, like the idea of set-and-forget, just wish I could find one with a shock collar attachment since I am a pretty sound napper <g>...

Amazon has a deal right now on the 733 and you get some freebies that are pretty cool too.

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardman View Post
 

 

Thanks TJ, I've read everywhere the MEP internal smoker/meat thermometer is pretty much useless and I'm not real comfortable with the MEP digital display for the internal smoker temp either. Going to spend a little more and go with a dual probe, like the idea of set-and-forget, just wish I could find one with a shock collar attachment since I am a pretty sound napper <g>...

 

You'd be surprised how annoying the alarm is on the 733 when it goes up. It has no problems waking me up at all!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Meat Thermometers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Meat Thermometers › Anyone Used the Cappecs Leave-in Kitchen Thermometer?