or Connect

temp question

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I am currently seasoning my new MES40 Gen 1 smoker.  I set it for 275 per the instructions.  Also put my Maverick 732 in the body to double check the temp.. The control panel tells me the temp is 273 but the Maverick is at 261 after 2 hrs.  Is this common that the temp on the panel is so off and do I need to contact Masterbuilt to get this fixed?  

post #2 of 9

It is common. Contacting Masterbuilt is up to you. I have opted to live with the discrepancy and set my temps based on the Maverick reading. If mine is set to 275 it will run over 300. 

post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpro1946 View Post
 

I am currently seasoning my new MES40 Gen 1 smoker.  I set it for 275 per the instructions.  Also put my Maverick 732 in the body to double check the temp.. The control panel tells me the temp is 273 but the Maverick is at 261 after 2 hrs.  Is this common that the temp on the panel is so off and do I need to contact Masterbuilt to get this fixed?  

 

Yours is one of the closer ones.

 

A lot depends on where you put your Maverick probe, because the heat varies somewhat throughout the smoker. The MES temp sensor in mine is a little below halfway up, slightly right of center. It looks like a toggle switch. Put you ET-732 about a half inch from that & see what they both read after it settles down.

I just pretty much ignore what my MES says. I adjust my MES until my Maverick, near my meat has the temp I want.

 

Here's a Bunch of things you can do with your MES:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".
 

Bear

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks so much for the Bear's Step by Steps, they are great.  Consider a Smokin' Cookbook.

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 


Is the meat probe off too.  Do I need to use my Maverick for the meat also?

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpro1946 View Post
 


Is the meat probe off too.  Do I need to use my Maverick for the meat also?

It might be off. You should always check your thermometers in boiling water and ice water prior to use. My meat probe in my MES is pretty close but the smoker temp is way off. I choose not to use the meat probe as it is a pain to clean since it is attached to the smoker.

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaddox View Post
 

It might be off. You should always check your thermometers in boiling water and ice water prior to use. My meat probe in my MES is pretty close but the smoker temp is way off. I choose not to use the meat probe as it is a pain to clean since it is attached to the smoker.


Is your smoker probe off?  Is my probe being 10-15 degrees off common?  Just a little aggravating when the smoker is brand new.

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpro1946 View Post
 


Is your smoker probe off?  Is my probe being 10-15 degrees off common?  Just a little aggravating when the smoker is brand new.

My meat probe is close, my smoker air temp sensor is way off. This is one of the downsides of an MES that are affordable units but some of the features are lacking. If you have a Maverick you should be able to easily overcome this issue. 

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpro1946 View Post
 

Thanks so much for the Bear's Step by Steps, they are great.  Consider a Smokin' Cookbook.

 

Thank You!!  It is a Smokin' Cookbook, and it's yours for Free.PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

 

I replied to your PM on your questions.

 

 

Bear