or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Smoking Dove Breasts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoking Dove Breasts

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I've done some searching on here and unable to find a good thread on an actual step by step for smoking doves.  I'd like to wrap the breasts with bacon and smoke them.  I've only smoked three things so far...pork butt, jerky, and ribs.  So I am really pretty novice.  I have an MES 30.

 

Thanks for any guidance or help you can provide me with!

post #2 of 14

I have smoked doves and quail and I do them both the same. Water chestnuts in there and wrapped in bacon. Hour or so in the smoker and good to go. I have marinaded in italian dressing and all kinds of other things. They are always good.

post #3 of 14

You can wrap them and cook at 270* til you get them to IT 165. Don't know what safe temp is for Dove.

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

You can wrap them and cook at 270* til you get them to IT 165. Don't know what safe temp is for Dove.

I cook wild game rare. screw the gov. on that one.

post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjet View Post
 

I cook wild game rare. screw the gov. on that one.

I just started eating Chicken after a 40 yrs., Bit into a bloody piece and that was it for me. Still a little shy.I was thinking Cornish Hen I see you put it in.

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

I just started eating Chicken after a 40 yrs., Bit into a bloody piece and that was it for me. Still a little shy.I was thinking Cornish Hen I see you put it in.

Yeah that is a different matter entirely. chickens are nasty creatures. Most of the chicken we eat we probably wouldn't if we went to a big chicken processing facility. 

post #7 of 14

This sounds so interesting! Please post photos when doing it! Yum! Cheers! - Leah

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 

Ya...chickens, pretty disgusting...fat and full of veins...blah!  I wouldn't think it would take long for dove breasts to smoke...I just don't want them getting dried out too much.  I think a piece of bacon wrapped around them should keep them moist?

post #9 of 14

I have not smoked dove breasts but I have grilled them wrapped in bacon with a slice of jalepeno inside. If you cook them to rare they won't dry out. Like @timberjet said you should never overcook wild game.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaddox View Post
 

I have not smoked dove breasts but I have grilled them wrapped in bacon with a slice of jalepeno inside. If you cook them to rare they won't dry out. Like @timberjet said you should never overcook wild game.


I went on a dove hunt in Texas a few years back. They took the dove breast and marinated over night in a Italian and hot sauce mixture, then put on a slice of jalapeno, pepper jack cheese, wrapped in bacon and then hot grilled over mesquite - wow!

post #11 of 14

I have a few in the freezer that I need to do something with as well. How'd they turn out?

Maybe I'll throw them on this weekend when I do a wild turkey breast.

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfishnhunt View Post
 

Ya...chickens, pretty disgusting...fat and full of veins...blah!  I wouldn't think it would take long for dove breasts to smoke...I just don't want them getting dried out too much.  I think a piece of bacon wrapped around them should keep them moist?

yes and something inside like a slice of Jalapeno or whatever you like. I like water chestnuts. They really take on the flavor.

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 

Wow...I can't believe I just realized I didn't post any pictures, so sorry about that.  I logged on and was looking for some info and got to looking around and saw I let you guys down.  I do have pictures, so here they are.  Enjoy...and they were really, really good!

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjet View Post

I have smoked doves and quail and I do them both the same. Water chestnuts in there and wrapped in bacon. Hour or so in the smoker and good to go. I have marinaded in italian dressing and all kinds of other things. They are always good.
I use this recipe for duck and pheasant as well and it always turns out great! And I agree try to cook it rare or medium rare, just until bacon is crispy..most wild game turns into shoe leather if it's overcooked
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Wild Game
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Smoking Dove Breasts